Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

535xi Turbo Remove / Replace advise

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by dsbeal, May 21, 2016.

dsbeal

I have the dreaded turbo waste gate rattle on my '08 535xi with 88K miles. Complained about it before warranty expired last year. BMW of Tulsa claimed the noise was normal and it was injector noise. Year later, (6,500 miles out side of warranty) noise is worse, take it in and they say the waste gate rods have severe play and turbos need replaced. Refuse to honor warranty, claiming their hands are tied by corporate BMW... Frustrated that my dealer / BMW will not honor this as I believe the tech did a poor job diagnosing the 1st time. What is involve to remove turbos on an X drive car? Can the turbos be removed with the engine in the car, or will I have to drop the the subframe and engine? Any words of wisdom will be appreciated as it is hard to find info specific to the xi models.

charlson89

Removing the turbos is not a easy job for sure and the x drive does make some more issues. You can do it in car but yes the subframe would have to be removed. The easiest way is to remove the engine to replace the turbos since the oil feed lines are a real pain to get to.

dsbeal

Carlson, Thank you for the feedback. I was afraid of that. I have a lift, so I guess I'll try doing it by dropping the subframe. Did a motor swap on an E46 six months ago, so not really looking forward to pulling another motor. Still hopeful that BMW will ultimately cover this and honor the warranty under good faith.