Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

528e starter issues (in an E30 325es chassis)

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by racerexs, Jul 15, 2009.

racerexs

Having some issues with a starter motor in an eta engine. The engine is reportedly from a 528e, but year is unknown. Engine number is 2163 6126, which we decoded as being an M20, with a 163 serial number, built in Steyr, Austria on production day 126. No other numbers visible in regular locations.

Have tried three different starters, including two 1.1 kws and a 1.4 kw, but each seem to produce the same results -- a high-pitched noise and an intermittent start.

1) Would like to know what year engine is. Is there any way to tell from the engine number above?

2) Anyone experienced this problem before, and if so, what was solution?

My worry is that there is another starter for, say, an earlier model which we haven't yet tried. Other possibility is that we have it mounted incorrectly. Or any number of other things we haven't thought of.

Any help is truly appreciated. I'm hoping to purchase this car from another club member and we need to get this sorted out.

Regards,
    Eric Mees

zoff

I wouldn't waste time trying to find out what year the engine is 'cause I doubt it would help you. Just make sure and use a 325e ETM and go from there. As for your problem, I would start by trying to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it. Since the problem is doing the same thing regardless of starter I would think the problem would be unrelated to the starter. First, do you have a good battery? Is there any problem with the relays? What about the wiring and connectors attached to the starter? If all is good then you would have to look at the ignition switch. That's all I got but at a minimum you need to get an ETM from the car and go from there. Good luck.

az3579

racerexs

Thanks to both. I'll forward the information along and see what happens.

Cheers
    ERic