Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

525 upper strut mount creeking

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by 93e34m5, Jan 1, 2010.

93e34m5

Recently replaced the entire suspension parts of the front strut assemblies. All was fine until the weather turned colder. now the upper strut mounts creek when turning, stationary or driving.
    Re- checked torque on top nut of the strut and the torque of the upper strut mount assembly to body .
    Ther is plenty of grease in the bearings, added two drops of thirty weight oil to see if thet helps.
    Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Thanks in advance,

Tom

BMWCCA1

Are you sure it's not the sway-bar link on that side? I know, it sounds like it's coming from the strut bearing, but...

93e34m5

Not the sway bar, but to make sure I'll spray silicone on to lube the bushings.

BMWCCA1

That wouldn't fix it anyway. The link noise would be in the joint inside the boot. You can disconnect the link and see if the noise goes away. If it does you can replace the link or try to inject something inside the boot for temporary relief. I realize you're focusing on the strut bearing because of the recent work but quite often it can be as simple as the sway-bar link. Noise is just vibration and it travels up the strut very well.

93e34m5

Looks like I'll try that tomorrow, got a few other projects to get done. thanks for the advise,I'll give an update later tomorrow