Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

4th Gen Ipod NANO Not Charging

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by M3Driver, Mar 8, 2009.

M3Driver guest

Ok; I understand there is an issue with 4th Gen iPOD Nano not charging with OEM BMW adapter kit. Based on the Apple forums it has something to do with a different charging circuit in the some of the new Apple devices.

BMW NA has been less than forthcoming about this issue ("Duh, we dunno..??.").

Can anybody provide any other insight on when this issue will be resolved? I am hearing it will involve a cable change, but this is strictly rumor.

thanks in advance.

az3579

What kind of connector does it currently have in the car? Is it an actual iPod cable or a generic USB connector?

If it's an iPod cable, the Scosche Passport does the trick. My head unit in my car charged my iPod Touch 1st gen just fine, but when I got my iPhone 3G, it wouldn't charge it anymore, only play music. I bought this adapter, slipped it on the iPod cable, and it works beautifully now. I don't know if it'll work on the USB connectors though, but if you use the iPod USB cable, then it should work without issues.

I will be taking apart my dash again today, so I will reach in for the USB cable on my head unit and I will test functionality with the USB portion as opposed to the iPod portion. If it works, then it should work flawlessly with whatever you have.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696LL/A

M3Driver guest

It is the OEM BMW iPOD interface kit with the 'standard' iPOD (not USB) connector.

I have seen the Scosche Passport connector on the Apple discussion boards and it's good to heard from someone who gave it a try. I'm going to try to hold out for the OEM solution but if it is not forthcoming, I'm going to order the Scosche. As of my last visit to their website, it was listed as "sold out" at this time (wonder why...:rolleyes:)

Thanks for the link to the device on the Apple store......:)

Update: Going to go by the local Apple Store when it opens today. Figure if I wait on BMW that might be a long wait.....:)

pcbeckwith

I have the same problem with the iPod interface on my 2006 530i. I have a iPod Nano and just took the car to the dealer yesterday about the problem. Their response was that it worked with the newer iPods so it must be a software or upgrade issue with the Nano. Went on the Apple website and upgraded the device but same "charging not supported with this adapter" message when I connected with the car. Let me know if the Scosche Passport solved your problem.

M3Driver guest

Scosche Passport works like a charm.....:)

az3579

As a note, there are some minor quirks regarding the Scosche and my head unit. Occasionally, when I plug in my iPhone and then disconnect it, it gives an error when I reconnect it and it won't play music. The only way to fix it is to turn off the head unit, unlock your iPhone (if it's password locked), plug it in, and turn on the radio. Just an FYI if this happens to you...