Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

40 Years Between BMW Autos

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by coljediv2002, Jun 15, 2012.

coljediv2002 Diesel Power

Hi from Maryland. Owned a 1971 BMW 2002 while stationed in Germany in the early '70s. Just bought a 2011 E90 335d. Soft spot in my heart for diesel power. Must admit the 335d feels softer than my 2002 or my 1986 Jetta diesel, both of which I admittedly stiffened up a bit with performance struts. But the power difference is definitely evident. Makes me wonder if I should have opted for the sports suspension. First time member. Also owned a '73 BMW R75/5 cycle in the olden days.

drummerfc

*40 Years???* Well what the hell'wur ya waitin' fer?? :p

Congrats...Pics? I rented an Audi diesel in Germany and drove back and forth to Austria with it on the 'Bahn last fall. Very nice...powerful and economical.

coljediv2002 Diesel Power

I would post pics, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Also, how do you get your history of ownership below your signature block? You don't type it in each time, do you?

Also, I'm trying to get some intel on spare tire packages (nervous about RFT & BMW Assist), suitable replacement oil other than what the dealer sells, suitable oil filter other than what the dealer sells, future options for suspension beefing, and down the road, some tuning mods to get more muscle. IMG_0007 small.JPG

MGarrison

Click your user name in the 2nd blue bar near the top of the page (next to "Inbox"), and on the left, down a bit, you'll see "Signature" - click that and you should see a box to input whatever you want for a signature line or lines. Congrats on the car & welcome to the club!

drummerfc

When typing in a new message/reply, there's a button directly below and to the right of the space you would type in, marked "Upload a File". Click on that and it'll give you a window where you can navigate through your folders, pick a picture, and press OK. It inserts it into your message.

Far as the sig/ownership history question - what MGarrison said!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum! I see you've already met some of the other inmates!

floydarogers

BMW approved LL-04 oil is really hard to find. I'll point you to the lists later, but LiquiMoly and TotalQuartz are around. We've had an extensive discussion of oil and longevity on a commercial forum; there is no real need to change from the BMW Castrol SLX Professional; the dealer prices are reasonable and they are not ripping you off. There is no need to change before 10K (of course you can do so if you want to), and you should definitely change at the 13K CBS interval. Oil filters can be found or ordered at NAPA stores. Mann is good.

I wouldn't worry about the RFT issue. I've had one leak (in 50K miles); didn't get all the way down (that's what the TPMS is for), it was repaired by Discount Tire no problem. Note that BMW dealerships WILL NOT repair them, but there is no technical reason for non-sidewall punctures to be repaired with an inner patch/plug.

You can order oil change packages from Tischer, Bimmerworld, BavAuto, etc. FYI, you want to search for oil, search for ACEA A3/B3/C3 and BMW LL-01 - that will get you to lots of info.

http://www.auto-treff.com/bmw/vb/showthread.php?postid=1197010#post1197010
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/news/epcp_0811_oe_approved_car_oils/viewall.html