Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder sound

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by eblue540, Feb 25, 2012.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

OK, so as I look at all the on-line chatter on the new F30 328, there's lots of praise for the power that the turbo four banger puts out. "You can't tell it isn't a six if you close your eyes" say some of the reviewers.

Well, um, yes I can. The exhaust cadence of the six is distinct and different. I realize this is a personal taste thing, but, how many of us can tell the difference, eyes closed, and have a preference for the sound of the 6 cylinder exhaust vs. the 4? You decide:

These are most equivalent recordings I could find on Youtube of stock 328's. Next, imagine aftermarket exhaust sounds (can't find F30 aftermarket 328 recordings yet), and I don't think it will get better.

Try this one to hear both 4 and 6 cylinder F30's both front and rear. Best part is the last minute of the read sound of the 335:

Despite the turbo's, 4-cylinder sound is a step down-market aurally to me. I realize that fours are always going to be more efficient than the equivalent size six for lot's of logical reasons. I'm just hoping we don't lose the distinctive 6-cylinder sound track in all the afordable Bimmers.