Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335xi Overheating

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by marunci, Apr 24, 2010.

marunci

My 2009 335xi automatic coupe purchased new one year ago has logged 7500 trouble free miles with only one driver. Yesterday after driving about 5 miles on local streets, temp about 60F, the yellow overheating symbol appeared. Within two minutes the color changed to red and before I could reach an area where I could pull off to the side of the road the engine died. The oil temp gauge read 250F. Very loud fan noise apparent. Within five minutes the engine cooled and I re-started it, permitting me to drive slowly home about 0.5 mi. I checked the oil level (via the electronic test) and the coolant level both of which registered within acceptable limits. However at idle the oil temp guage began to climb again. There was evidence of coolant run-off around the expansion tank. No previous overheating problems with this vehicle.
    Car will sit in my garage over the weekend and go to the dealer on Monday.
    Meanwhile anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?

bimmertech guest

Well, the map thermostat and waterpump are both electric. One of the two has failed. I wouldn't drive it too far before being repaired.