Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335i Dinan S2 software upgrade / HPFP

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Clinesdale, Sep 19, 2010.

Clinesdale guest

I have a 2009 335i and an appointment to upgrade to the Dinan S2 software. I read posts from last year regarding the HPFP issues. I also spoke with someone at a BMW Driver Experience event in Cleveland.

It looks like, in the event of a future HPFP issue, BMW would return my software to stock before diagnosing and repairing the fuel pump. Is this true? Would I then need to pay for a secondary installation of the Dinan software? The install will be at a BMW dealership in Pittsburgh.

Is the HPFP still a concern, or was it addressed in the '09 model?

ForcedInduction guest

Your understanding is correct based on other owner's experience with the Dinan tune and HPFP issues. Unfortunately the N54/55 HPFP issues have not been resolved as 2011 N55 engines are also experiencing the chronic HPFP failures.

Clinesdale guest

Thanks for the input. I will talk with the dealership tomorrow. If I can get any assurance that they would reinstall the software at their expense, or at least minus the hour of labor, I would take the chance. If not, I think I'll have to skip it in light of these potential fuel pump issues. That would be a shame.

Clinesdale guest

HPFP / Dinan S2 update

I met with Max Moser, my BMW / Dinan Service adviser. He plays both roles at P&W in Pittsburgh. He said several things of interest:

1) BMW has extended implemented a 10 year / 110,000 mile warranty on the fuel pump due to the excessively number of failures.

2) If you upgrade to the Stage II Dinan software and have a subsequent failure of the HPFP or other that requires a "return to stock" of your software, the BMW / Dinan dealer will reload the S2 software at no charge.

3) The S2 software update seems to eliminate the issues with the fuel pump as it changes the parameters under which the HPFP runs. I look forward to verifying this one with my own experience. I drive 45000 miles a year, so I should have an answer soon.

TomRathje

I have the Dinan software on my '09 335xi and the fuel pump still failed last week. BMW Gallery in Norwood, MA did the original install, and they very quickly took in my car, replaced the HPFP (BMW is using remanufactured HPFPs), installed the latest BMW software, and re-installed the Dinan SW as the last step. Just be prepared to take the car back to whoever did the original Dinan install to take care of future issues. From everything I've read, BMW still doesn't have know exactly how to fix the HPFP issues.

Clinesdale guest

Think this will jinx me? 33,000 miles and I'm still on the same HPFP.

dmmai

Jinxed at 33,000 miles ? ?

I don't want to put fear in your heart or add to your thoughts of jinxing ... but ... my 2008 335xi just lost it's HPFP at 32,960 miles (yesterday).
    ... sorry ...

ForcedInduction guest

Actually for those vehicle where the HPFP doesn't fail early many of these HPFPs do fail in the 30K+ mile range, from the various BMW forums I read.

bl335i08 guest

Does anyone know failure percentage of HPFP? I still think it's very small number compared to the total units sold.

floydarogers

Hard to tell

There's a poll over on bimmerforums; as of May 22 2010, a little under 70% had not had failures. Obviously, stats in that type of poll are not usable.