Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

330xi Exhaust Manifolds

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bradley01, Jul 10, 2008.

bradley01 guest

Alright guys.
    I have done a bit of research from other BMW forums, and am going to attempt to put performance headers on my 330xi. I have found some SuperSprint reproduction headers from eurospec.net which come highly recommended (lots of owner-tested miles).

I have one question. Does anyone know if there is any difference in fitment between the OEM exhaust manifold of a 330i and a 330xi due to drivetrain? I found this on realoem.com:

First I searched for "exhaust manifold" for a '02 330i.

Found this:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=50&hl=13

Then I searched for the same thing for a '02 330xi.

Found this:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=50&hl=16

Notice, there are different part numbers for the xi headers with cats:
    18407514504 and 5

The 330i part numbers are:
    18407514502 and 3

Also, the xi headers w/cats are more expensive than the 330i headers.

Don't know why they would be more expensive or have different part numbers, but it does put up a flag for me telling me that something could be different.

Anyone with technical knowledge who knows about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruce L Bird guest

Performance mods

Sorry but I am not a fan of performance mods. I have seen a ton of slightly modified Bimmers and alot of them have very little drivability enhancement for a ton of money spent. If you want headers ,buy an M-3. You will have something that can hold its value alot better and runs like a scalded ape!!

bradley01 guest

Bruce,
    I agree that I should get an M3. However, my budget (and fiance) wont allow it. Granted, the aftermarket headers will only add minimal performance gains. However, more important to me are the SOUND gains...in combination with the minimal performance gains. I am fairly comfortable with the reliability of this product since there is a slew of people who have already tested them for me.

Scalded ape! I think I'll get that on my license plates! LOL

So, how 'bout that fitment issue? Any ideas? I certainly appreciate it!

Bruce L Bird guest

Xi headers

Bradley01,

I am sure the Xi headers will be configured differently that a 330i due to the front drive axles. It gets pretty tight in there. They may only be slightly different. Have you tried e-mailing the manufacturer of the header and ask them to send you some fitment data?. the manufacturer's are usualy very helpfull. And yes Bradley01 there is nothing better than an awsome exhaust system. Due to Gov regulations someday in the future exhaust sound will not be heard outside the car, but inside will be electronicaly reproduced thru your sound system, and you can choose any exhaust note known. I like the F1 tone myself.

Jeron guest

Headers are only worthwhile if grouped with other mods and even then probably not worth it unless you have done major changes.

I suspect you will loose low end torque and gain very little up high.

az3579

Guys, he doesn't care that much about the performance gain. He's doing it mainly for the sound improvement.

bradley01 guest

Right on the money.

And Bruce, I was blown away by the idea that the exhaust note will be electronically reproduced inside the cab. I bet that is a few years away...

Jeron guest

I've never heard of any sound gains from aftermarket headers. (No pun intended.) You need a cat back setup or a new muffler or on the intake side replace the air box with a K&N or foam cone.