Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

325is Exhaust Suggestions, please?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by AugustneverEnds, Dec 8, 2011.

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

My 1988 325is has 140,000 miles. The muffler has a few holes and is getting noisy. This muffler was a Bosal OE replacement and, to me anyways, it rusted way too quickly given that I do not drive the car in the winter (Syracuse, NY area) I was hoping someone might have some recommendations for a replacement. I have a larger budget than I used to, so I'm considering anything from a factory BMW exhaust to a quality aftermarket supplier. I'm not as interested in performance/sound as much as longevity. Also does anyone have any pre-installation advice to prolong the exhaust's life? Thank you all

MGarrison

If you want as long a life as possible, find one that's 100% stainless steel - pricey though. I have a Supersprint and feel I've gotten a pretty good life out of it, but it's not a daily driver. Many seem to comment that Billy Boat exhausts are too loud for comfortable street usage. Otherwise, perhaps see what's out there and within the scope of your budget. Don't know if muchis going to add life to components when you're running in winter conditions/salt, unless you had stainless exhaust hangers made in lieu of the oem painted steel ones plus stainless nuts/bolts (which are less than ideal for staying tight on exhaust systems).

AugustneverEnds 1988 325iS, 1989 750iL

Thanks. Supersprints look nice and the price is do-able. No winter driving for me, so no worries there. ANSA seems to make an E30 exhaust that bolts fairly easily. It's snowing out right now so I have plenty of time to think about it!

MGarrison

Ansa I think is typically regarded as inexpensive, but also short-lived, relatively speaking.

Looks like Pelican is offering most of what's available stateside for E30's (excluding Ansa)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE30/POR_BE30_EXHmis_pg1.htm (B&B = Billy Boat)

Ireland Engineering _had_ a stainless E30 muffler, but their site says sold out. Might be worth a call to see if they plan to do another run of 'em; can't beat their price for a stainless muffler, assuming it'd be similar for a new run.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-exhaust/e30catback.html