Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

325i vs 330i

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Dec 26, 2017.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

So I have just found a sweet '02 325CI. Was wondering the differences between the 2 models. Is it more then engine displacement?

MGarrison

Unless you're talking different years pre & post LCI (see the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46) ), realoem shows production of both models through the same time frame, except a seemingly odd one month of production in 9/1999 of the 330i before, apparently, continuous production started in 1/2000 - which would make me think whatever differences there are, if any besides engines, might be things like 'base' package options, such as interior appointments & the like. You can use http://bimmer.work/ for comparing models. Maybe check parts numbers or specs on realoem.com to see if a 330i may have had something like larger brakes or stuff like that. Perhaps it was more of a marketing move to present a broader range within the 3er line of price points, etc.

Thanks. This seems like a really nice car. Good midline 325i. Been driven under 10k/year. Love the color. So I will move forward with the car. Going to have a pre inspection done at a local BMW shop that was recommended by the local chapter. Still trying to decide if I should;d go out there or go with the CarFax and the pre inspection.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

I was once told that the software is different and the exhaust system making the power difference, not sure thats true though. Like Mgarrison said you could go through real oem and see the difference through the part numbers.

Hey there. Well the 325 in Minnesota turned out to be a dog. I have found another in GA I really think is a great car. The owner is a BMW tech. He wants me to inspect the car myself. PPI's get pricey after awhile. The car has a great Carfax history. what kind of things should I look for? He will run the fault codes too.

Hey there. Well the 325 in Minnesota turned out to be a dog. I have found another in GA I really think is a great car. The owner is a BMW tech. He wants me to inspect the car myself. PPI's get pricey after awhile. The car has a great Carfax history. what kind of things should I look for? He will run the fault codes too.

MGarrison

I don't know whether this person is a club member, but they're selling this locally here - has some positive sounding things, like rear subframe reinforcement having been done, replaced diff, relatively low mileage, etc - engine-wise, probably same stuff you've had with your car (cooling system, etc). If the subframe's been pre-emptively reinforced, that's a big plus, at least I think so.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-2001-m3-manual/6453688023.html