Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2a98 fault code on 2006 330i n52 engine

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 06red330i, Jan 14, 2016.

06red330i

just wondering if changing the intake vanos solenoid is the fix

charlson89

Yes BMW has a bulletin for this issue. One need to check to make sure the center part of the oil filter cap in still present this sometimes gets pulled out during the filter change and thrown away unknowingly. If thats there then I would change both solenoids and do a hot oil change. This will normally take care of the issue. Of course it the fault keeps returning you will need to look into worn cam bearing ledges or possible vanos unit issues (seldom it gets this bad though)

06red330i

thanks, your talking about the black cap that screws on filter housing ? I'm not sure what you mean by center part, I have been changing my own oil for 15 years and am not sure what it is your talking about. And if the center part is missing where do I get that or do I need to order a whole new cap ?

charlson89

Yes it is under the black cap. When you remove the oil filter the part that the filter slips around would be missing.

06red330i

no not the case I've been changing oil on my bmw's for 15 years, I know all was there when I reinstalled the cover.
    I assume your talking about the stem where you put the small o-ring on, I know I changed that o-ring so it was there.

charlson89

Yep that is correct then it most likely is the vanos solenoids