Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

22 inch rims on 530i

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jamal530i, Jul 8, 2008.

jamal530i guest

I was looking to get some 22in Asanti rims for my new 530i and wanted to know if any on knows how the ride is how much can i lower if i get the rims and what lip could i fit on the rear.. Thanks

az3579

22's? Those are bigger than the whole car... lol

If you drive anywhere near potholes, then I suggest you ditch the 22's idea right now. What year is your car?

Autohaus guest

Why would you want to "Pimp My Bimmer" on your 530i? Is is the E39 or the E60 530i?

bradley01 guest

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamal530i guest

there arent many pot holes at all and i planned on getting perelli p zero tires and getting it lowered as well seeing how i only drive my car on the weekends.. My Car is a 2005 530i (E60)

bradley01 guest

:::shudder:::

Autohaus guest

22 inch wheels are way too big for a bimmer, or any other car. They would look good on SUV's. Your car, however, may be as high as an SUV after the rims installed with a lowering kit......If you chose to go this route, make sure you get deep dish at least....

az3579

Is it even possible to have such large rims AND a lowering kit? I would think they would rub...

FYI, Tire Rack shows the largest rim available as being a 20". That means that a 20" rim would be guaranteed not to rub or cause any kinds of issues (without lowering, of course). They do a pretty good job of matching up what would fit your car.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I'm no physicist, but that much weight spinning at anything over 30mph has got to create centrifugal force that will do something bad to the original set up of the vehicle. I can't imagine German engineers creating a car with that in mind. There is no breaking the laws of physics.

Bimmerdan

22" is going to be huge on that car. The overall diameter on the stock set-up is just under 26". If you put a 22" wheel on it, that leaves a 2" sidewall in order to keep the same basic diameter (so the speedometer and odometer still work and it doesn't rub). It looks like the closest P-Zero is a 245/30-22. That set-up is over 2" taller than stock so even if it fit, it's going to screw up your speedo and odo by over 10%. I think rubbing is going to be a serious issue though, especially if you try and lower it.

The ride is definitely going to suffer though, it's going to feel like a truck because there will be no give in the sidewall at all. On top of that, like TeamStowell siad, you're spinning a lot more mass so your performance is going to take a beating (acceleration, gas mileage, braking...it's all going to be worse).

But the bottom line is it's your car and you can do what you want to with it! Because you're going so far outside the normal boundaries, I'm not sure anyone can tell you exactly how far you can lower it or what size lip will fit!? The guys at Tire Rack are pretty good at what they do, they may be able to walk you through it. I would say give them a call.

lcjhnsn

It is rather apparent that the gentleman is completely unconcerned about handling, fit up or anything else... it's a bling BLING thing!! It don't matter if you can't steer the car as long as it looks good, so let the man do his own thing.

jamal530i guest

Thanks I appreciate every ones in put i might jsut go 21's or 20's not sure yet i will continue to check it out..

bradley01 guest

I would encourage you to go to e36fanatics.com and look at some of those guys' cars. Most of them have 19s AND are lowered. They look pretty nice. I wouldn't go bigger than that because of rubbing issues.