Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 528i Accelerator

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by Judoculp, Dec 25, 2010.

CSBM5

From what I've experienced, there is no luck involved. I've simply never driven a recent model BMW with an automatic transmission that didn't have this issue. There are large quantities of people who have no idea what we're talking about, and they drive these cars everyday and say they are "smooth." However, if you ride with them, you'll see that it is anything but smooth. ;)

Pyewacket1

I have a 2010 328i with automatic.

The way I would describe the accelerator pedal is extremely "stiff" as compared to my other vehicles, and it takes me a few minutes to feel "normal" in the car, especially after driving another vehicle. After that, I'm perfectly fine with it.

At my age (and with lower back issues), I am no longer into performance driving, but IMO, I don't see it as a defect or a bad design... just different. And, as a test, I had my wife ride with me for a few miles, then asked her if she noticed any difference in my driving.

She did not.

So, either (1) I don't have the problem, (2) have mastered the technique, or (3) I am a poor driver all the time.... or, some combination of the above.

eam3

My father is 82 years old and the first thing he noticed the first time he drove my mom's 335i was how touchy the accelerator is. He said the same things I used to say about our 535i about how hard it is to drive away smoothly from a standstill. The problem may be more obvious on the 335 than the 328 because of the difference in power and torque. My 330Ci does not have this problem either which makes me think it's a result of the added power.

SkiScubaSailDude

I suggest checking other forums like bimmerfest.com and 5series.net. There is plenty discussion about "resetting" your transmission profile. Basically your car learned from those loading it on the transports and car carriers and needs to be set up for you.

I inquired about this during my PCD delivery and my associate told me he had reset it before I got there that morning. :)

Judoculp

Now that I've been driving our 2011 528i a few months, I've found that: 1. The accelerator is still as overly sensitive as it was before, 2. I can accelerate quickly and smoothly from a complete stop if I concentrate intently and am wearing very thin-soled shoes, and 3. My wife and I have to exert way too much physical and mental effort to drive this car smoothly! And no, I haven't been back to the dealer since they gave me the "Never heard of that problem" feedback.

cwbiii guest

drive by wire enhancement???

Turner motor sports has a add on that can modify the drive by wire accelerator...
    with 3 choices for "feel" factory, sport & race...

"Sprint Booster" , maybe this would help. Anybody tried it? Its compatible with most BMW series and models... I just happened to be poking around in the 3-series since this is what I own.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E90/c-15-bmw-engine-chips-software.aspx

Chuck

Judoculp

I like "wehlitzj"'s description of the problem as "stiff" rather than mine of "too sensitive". It's overcoming the initial resistance that is the problem. At first the accelerator pedal seems more like an On-Off switch than a volume control. Once past that point, the car drives normally.

cwbiii guest

delay...

From what I've been able to gather on the problem is sounds like it is an intentional delay and rate of change issue programmed into the pedal electronics. The delay will keep you hunting for the right spot since the engine is doing approximately what you told it to do a tenth of a second earlier... the rate of change will make this worse unless you are making slow gentle changes. I really think that module I mentioned 2 posts prior would probably improve things nicely in the "sport" mode... it would be useful to find someone that has used it. I could, but my vehicle doesn't seem to exhibit the problem... I like the throttle control just the way it is.

Chuck