Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2010 BMW 328i/335i 4D sedan

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by fernande-bmw, Sep 18, 2009.

fernande-bmw guest

I am looking to replace a 2004 330i with Premium and Cold Weather Packages.

The 2004 330i model came with the improved sounds and sports suspension standard. Since we have to deal with many months of icy/snowy weather in Milwaukee, as a compromise, I chose all-season tires with the sports suspension that came standard instead of paying extra for the sports package or the performance package.

For 2010, I am looking for a similar sports handling/performance or better. If I could afford it, I would go for an M3 4D sedan. However, the 2010 3 series choices are already better than what I have now.

I am currently looking into the following two 2010 BMW 3 Series configurations.

328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    522 Xenon Headlights
    677 Logic7 Sound System w/Surround Sound
    MET Metallic Paint (Montego Blue)
    5AC Automatic High Beams
    248 Heated Steering Wheel
    ZVP Value Package
    4B9 Aluminum Trim

335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter
    5AC Automatic High Beams
    248 Heated Steering Wheel
    4B9 Aluminum Trim

As I mentioned before, I don't want performance tires. For the 328i, it is possible that the ZVP Value Package already includes the 2KU 17"x8"V-Spoke (style 285) alloy wheelsl 225/45R17 run-flat all-season tires (there is a question about this in another thread). For the 335i, the standard configuration already includes the same tires.

The Sport Package / M Sport Package only real improvement is the 704 Sport Suspension. Everything else are just cosmetic updates:

481 Sports Seats
    507 Park Distance Control (rear only)
    710 M Steering Wheel
    715 Aerodynamic Kit
    760 Shadowline Exterior Trim
    775 Anthracite Headliner
    840 Increased Top Speed Limiter

I am interested more in specific BMW Performance options that improve efficiency and handling. So, I am looking at the pricing and installation requirements for the following BMW Performance options:
    * Air Intake
    * Carbon Fiber Strut Brace
    * Short Shift Kit
    * Suspension

Does anyone have any comments about the offerings of the M Sport Package vs. the BMW Performance Options I listed above? Which ones are better? Do all options apply to both the 328i and 335i? Or some to one and some to another?

Any technical details are appreciated.

Note: I don't go to race tracks. I just push it in small curvy isolated roads and like the sports responde/handling for normal city and highway driving conditions.

Thanks!

az3579

Depending on how you push your car on those "isolated" roads, you may want sport seats to hold you in better in the corners. I know that I slid around too much on the standard comfort seats in my E30, and I'm sure the stock comfort seats are no exception in an E90. If you don't want to slide around, I'd spend the extra cash on the sport package, because then it will make it worthwhile (suspension AND sport seats). The seats aren't cheap in new cars, so if you want to retrofit one later, then this is your best option.

fshubert

My 2009 E90 335i holds the road like it's on rails. The sport seats are super comfortable and the adjustable seatback width holds you straight in the turns. The 335 is a huge difference over the 328 (I had a 2007 328) and am glad I made the upgrade. Premium package is nice and the heated seats/steering wheel is key for winters. I think if you go for the sports package you get the 18" wheels and low-profile RFTs.

fernande-bmw guest

Thanks for the comment. I have thought about the sport seats, the sliding around, and cost after the fact. It is a compelling argument.

I am curious about what additional options will improve the experience besides external trimming and bumper changes.

The Air Intake will improve HP and engine efficiency, the Strut Brace will improve stability, the Short Shift Kit will make it more "spiffy" for gear changes, the Suspension I assume is the same as the one that comes with the Sport Package/M Sport Package, but I am not sure.

In reality, all the BMW Performance options together will be $4000+ (more than the Sport Package/M Sport Package).

What makes sense? Get either the Sport Package ($2,150) or the M Sport Package ($3,750 - for additional cosmetic changes), and then add specific performance accessories after the fact? If so, what is there available for 328i or 335i that would be a good (dealer installed vs. custom shop)?

One thing with the sport packages is that I lose the ability to get the heated steering wheel and have to get an extra set of tires to replace the performance tires.

Joeb427 guest

Get the sports package on either car.
    The seats alone are worth the extra cash let alone all the other goodies.
    You'll be sorry later if you don't.

fernande-bmw guest

Are you saying that the M Sport Package or Sport Package alone is enough? Basically the sport seats and suspension?

And that there is nothing else I should be looking for as an extra accessory to improve handling/performance?

Thanks!

Joeb427 guest

The sport package was enough for me but the M sport is a nice.
    The BMW Performance Kit is available on the 335.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/09/17/bmw-performance-power-kit-2/

fshubert

You will get the heated steering wheel with the Cold Weather package even with the Sports Package (I have it).

fernande-bmw guest

Thanks for the link. I am starting to reconsider my strategy. I am leaning towards getting the factory sports package. The performance modifications are expensive and I think will be overkill for the 335i, which is already poerful enough and a great improvement over the 2004 330i I currently own.

Not with the M Sport Package. :(

This, however, brings up a good question.

Is there any real benefit with the M Sports Package compared to the Sports Package? Just looks?

az3579

I would say yes. But, how many M-Sports do you think we'll see? It increases the car's value, and it looks baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadass compared to the standard sport package car, which doesn't have any cosmetic changes. I personally would pay that much JUST for the visuals; it is just AGGRESIVE looking! I saw one pull into an isolated road the other day and it was just sublime.

You do get the sport suspension and sport seats with it for the "functional" changes, which pretty much seals the deal for me.

Honestly, I think a heated steering wheel is overhyped. It's nothing that a good pair of gloves can't fix. Besides, the car heats up quickly enough where you won't need it because the cabin will be warm fairly quick if you turn the heat on.

BTW, I think there is no option for short-shift on the 335i. It may already have a shorter throw, but don't quote me on that.

ACM1899 guest

Just wait. Rumor has it that the next generation e90 (F series) will come with a 4 cyl. TT as a base model option to the Inline 6.

fshubert

I had two 335i's side-by-side with their respective Sports packages. Aside from the rear parking sensors, the cars were very similar. You had to look real close to see the diff. The steering wheel had the "M", the door sills said "M" vs. "BMW", the wheels had the "M" logo and the rear bumber was in black by the exhaust vs. white on the standard sport package. Unless you looked real close, you couldn't tell. I thought it was cheesy to have all the "M" logo stuff on a non-M car. It kinda said "I can't afford an M but I'll make it look as close as possible but at the end of the day, it ain't an M". Given that, I went with the sport package. Maybe when I turn this lease in come 2012 I'll feel that the extra $10k for the M vs. the 335i is worth it but I'm not sure.

fernande-bmw guest

Although I could wait until 2012 for the new first-generation 3-series 4-cyl model, I have been presented with an opportunity to sell my car at blue book value. So, I am looking into the choices for a car this year.

Since the mandatory 35.5 MPG law comes into effect in 2016, I am looking into a car that would give me 4-6 years of fun driving at reasonable cost, i.e., < 50K.

I appreciate this response. I have not seen either one in person, but that's pretty much along what I would say. If the difference between them is not that noticeable (except for the compulsive) and the really functional upgrades are the same, then I agree that the extra cost is not worth it. I don't care if the car says "M", "BMW" or "BIGMOMMA". In fact, I would be happy if it did not say anything at all. :)

Now, on a personal note, I see you have are leasing a 335i. What's your opinion about the HPFP issues? Nobody knows if they were fixed with the 2010 models. And it does not really affect everyone. Should I go for a 328i and add performance mods to it? Should I buy the 335i and hope for the best? Or should I lease a 335i and hope that if something bad happens then I have better choices for a replacement?

Thanks!

fshubert

My last car was a 2007 E90 328xi. When that lease was up last month I shopped at 4 dealers here in Northern NJ. I was looking at the 328i, 335i and M3. No X-drive. I didn't think the X-drive was worth the performance hit just to have AWD come in handy 2 days (I mean 2 snowstorms) a year. When it snows bad or if I know it's gonna snow, I'm a homebody. If I NEED to go out, my wife has a 4WD SUV. No reason to risk $50k of BMW for a friggin loaf of bread. Don't get me wrong. The M3 is what I wanted and I still do. There is no finer car. I drove one from my dealer. I drove my friend's M3. Then I drove the 335i. There is a difference but not $10k worth. I drove a 328i for 2.5 years and said to myself "It's a 335i or M3". Then the pocketbook spoke. 335i it was and now I'm the proud 3-year lessor of the 335i in my avatar. Inside I know it's got the premium and cold weather package. Outside the world sees the Sports Package. It is one sweet car. Keep in mind that we BMW owners are a very small percentage of the cars on the road. I get stares and thumbs-up when I drive my car. You can't go wrong with it. Even though it's a lease I'm gonna chip it (my dealer said they could do it). So my 300+ ponies becomes closer to 400 ponies and adds another 80 lb-ft of torque. Do I (you included) need it? No. We drive the Ultimate Driving Machine. But given I had the 328, I'd never go back (sorry 328 owners......I did my time so give me my due). In 2012 I'll reconsider going to an M3. But my guess it will be a 335i-type that I drive out of the showroom with.

Regarding the HPFP - who knows. You'd think that since they started crappng out in 2007 that BMW would have done a decent re-design. At worst case I have the "limp home" mode to get me to my dealer. We've heard issues with wastegates and turbos too. I'm willing to take the chance. That's why I lease. I am covered for the warrantee period (I never go over 50k miles) and if I want, I can buy it. But so far I just plan on turning them in and get a new one every 36 months. Hard to feel sorry for me. I love doing it! But drive the 335i for an hour. You'll be sold. 0-60 in 5.4 sec (BMW say). Bull. It's faster. Stomp on the pedal at 70 and watch how fast 120 hits the speedometer. It's scarey but what a thrill!!

fernande-bmw guest

I appreciate your comments. You and I are on the same line of thought.

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

You seem to be happy with the 335i + Sport Package as is. I am not interested in the extra HP/Torque at the moment. Whatever I get now will be better than my 2004 330i 4D sedan. I am more interested in the handling.

What do you think of the following OEM BMW Performance options for the 335i 4D sedan + Premium/Cold/Sport:
    * Air Intake
    * Carbon Fiber Strut Brace
    * Short Shift Kit

Or is the stock car good enough?

Thanks!

az3579

I'll be brutally honest on this one.
    The air intake is absolutely useless in the real-world.
    So is the strut brace.
    The short-shift kit is something you can actually use. You will like the throws of the shifts a lot better, and is the one thing I'd recommend to anyone in any kind of car, regardless of how good the car already is.

You yourself said you won't track the car, so there really isn't much that you need to do to your car. It is excellent the way it comes from the factory for "spirited driving" as well as the daily grind. You don't need to spend money where it isn't necessary.

fernande-bmw guest

Honest feedback when purchasing an expensive car is always welcome. So, thanks!

This is good because that's the cheapest of all the options. :)

So, it looks like I will be adding the sport package to the car. This is what I am thinking of:

335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    ZSP Sport Package or ZMP M Sport Package
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter
    5AC Automatic High Beams
    4B9 Aluminum Trim
    Short Shift Kit (PN: 25 11 0 430 360)

Additional convenience options I could afford if I don't get the M Sport Package:
    302 Anti-theft alarm system
    322 Comfort Access keyless entry

It is time now to decide between to M or not to M. And find reasonable quotes around.

Thanks a lot for everyone's feedbacks!

Joeb427 guest

FS,I'm in north Jersey.What dealer will add the chip?I'd love to get a chip but it's said to void warranty.

az3579

According to the BMW-USA website, the short-shift kit is not an option for the 335i. My best guess is that it already comes with it from the factory.

Regarding M-Sport vs just Sport, you said you'll only be keeping it for 4-6 years. If you will be selling it after then, I would recommend M-Sport. You'll get more money for it when you sell it. You pay a little more every month, but you get a larger lump sum when you sell it.

fshubert

Joe, I got mine at Paul Miller BMW on Route 23. The sales guys said the techs there can chip it. Worth a personal visit.