Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2009 E90 Sedan - Small oil lean - rear of the engine

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by chicane, Mar 27, 2019.

chicane

2009 E90 Sedan Automatic 95xxx
    Very well maintained.

I have a very small engine oil leak at the far rear passenger side of the motor that rolls down the corner of the block (facing the tranny) and then gently drops oil right on the exhaust (very annoying).

The valve cover gasket is bone dry, the oil pan gasket is bone dry, the oil filter housing gasket is bone dry, I also cannot see anything leaking from the VANOS solenoid or sensors, plus all of these things are at the front of the engine and this leak is at the very rear.

Any ideas on where this leak might be coming from? Rear main seal?

MGarrison

Block only & not cyl. head? Small head gasket seep perhaps? Where's the pcv &/or ccv?

charlson89

N54 engine or N52 engine

chicane

N52 ... I'll put some dye in the crankcase tomorrow.

charlson89

Could be oil pan gasket, they normally leak at the rear of the pan gasket but can't bee seen since it is inside the bell housing of transmission. The flex plate whips the oil around in there and makes it look like the leak is higher up than normal. Depending on how bad the leak is it could be the rear main but when they leak it is a lot of oil.

chicane

It was the oil pan. Replaced it last month. A real PITA.