Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2008 X5 Nav DVD update heat problem

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by debicares, Sep 23, 2013.

debicares

I have a 2008 X5 4.8i. We had to drive through the Midwest and I thought it would be a great idea to update the Nav DVD. We were limping on the original DVD (2008, single disc). First of all it took for ever to get the new disc to even work. Lot's of either it didn't recognize the disc, or it said to turn the system off for 5 minutes because it was a new version.

Finally the new disc worked. I though it was the wrong part but my BMW dealer parts guy double checked and assured me it was correct for my vehicle.

We departed and started down the road. Then at about 180 miles into the trip the NAV stopped. Just said to insert the Nav DVD. We did over and over. Even pulled over and waited more than the requested 5 minutes. NOTHING WORKED. I did notice that the DVD when it popped out was rather warm.

Just to amuse myself, I popped in the old (2008) Nav DVD. Guess what?!?!? Worked perfectly! No heat.

What's up? I emailed BMW Customer Service and 4 months later have yet to acknowledge my existence (great customer service on their part!). There is nothing wrong with the DVD drive from the mere fact that all is well with the original DVD. It consistently overheats and repeats all the same errors every time and about the same distance/time of operation.

charlson89

This is a known issue and you will need to replace the dvd drive for the navigation computer. This happens when ever you update to the new disc versions but the old one will still work. BMW has a SIB about this out there.