Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2007 Z4 on Runflats - tramlines like crazy

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by alanbrooks, Oct 1, 2018.

alanbrooks

I picked up an excellent 2007 Z4 3.0si with the sports package, on eBay a few months ago - awesome car, heaps of fun. It has 80,000 miles on it, and looks and mostly drives like it's just off the showroom floor.

But... it tramlines like crazy; especially when cold, the Michelin Pilot Sports have a mind of their own. After about 5 or 10 miles it seems to calm down - can't figure out if that's because the tires warm up, the electronic assist settles down, or my arm just gets stronger (actually, don't think it's my arm... I really do think it's worse at start-up). Is this a known issue? I'm going to take it in and have the tie rod ends looked at, but the tires appear evenly worn and are, I believe the factory size - 225 40-18s in the front and 255 35-18s in the rear, with lots of tread left, and are of matching brand and model.
    • Staff

steven s

You sure it's just not the roads you are on?

Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs.

alanbrooks

Thanks Steven. Well, nobody else is chiming in, so I suspect it's just me, this car, these roads, my tie rods or Forces of Evil.
    • Staff

steven s

That narrows it down. :) Those a wide tires. I still say it's the road.