Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2007 328i questions about warning lights and the codes

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by toryb1227, Oct 9, 2012.

toryb1227

July 2011 I had the battery replaced because the battery wouldn't keep a charge. Not even a year later, my car sat for 3 days and would not start without a jump. This has been continuing (if left sitting for 3+ days) and has started hesitating more and more with each start everyday. Tested the battery and it wasn't fully charged..charged battery and seems to be fine for now. As I was having the battery issue almost every warning light has come on and I don't know where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Codes:
    CC-ID 24, 299, 41, 354, 382, 35
    The brake light is illuminated at all times. Was red, added brake fluid, now yellow. The cruise control will not work either.

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Ouch! Sorry, this is beyond my knowledge, but http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html lists the following codes:

24 Dynamic Brake Control Brake Assist Failed
    35 DSC Failed
    41 Service Due
    299 SOS Call System Failure
    354 Start Assist Inactive
    382 DSC Restricted, Brake Pressure Sensor

MGarrison

Did a BMW dealership replace the battery? Many new(er) BMW's require a one or two part diagnostic procedure that codes, programs, and registers the car's electrical system to the replacement battery, so that the battery will be charged properly and maximize it's life (perhaps among other things as well) - requires accessing the car's computer/electronic systems by the dealer.

With such a seemingly random variety and amount of codes, I'm guessing it's going to take a dealer visit, or, at least, to a indy shop that specializes in BMW's. If you did get it changed at a dealer, I'd ask them to double-check the battery programming/registration to make sure it's what it should be - and, that doesn't rule out that the new battery was bad. I don't know if it applies to BMW batteries, but I've heard one mechanic comment that new batteries often are being made with less plates compared to older batteries as a cost cutting measure, and just don't match older batteries in quality or longevity. Note, that's just something I've heard from one source, I have no way of knowing how true that may be.

If the new battery wasn't "registered" to the car, if it's specs are higher than what was in there, maybe it's been chronically undercharging, contributing to your issue - don't know though, that's pure speculation on my part, I'm no E90 expert!

If it's not related to your battery, I can't say what's going on there, that's a lot of codes!

charlson89

Garrison is pointing you in the right direction. The vehicles battery does need to be registered to the vehicle so the charging system doesn't over charge the new battery. If its an oem bmw battery take it the dealer you have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery. And technicians at the dealer will be able to go into the car and do something called energy diagnosis and see what may have caused the battery to become drained. The faults you have are most likely caused by under voltage to those modules. Fix power issues first then work on any codes that would remain.