Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2006 e60 DVD drive repeatedly fails to recognize disc, now won't eject

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by ajcaruso, Jan 15, 2013.

ajcaruso

Recently, my '06 550i (6spd, 45Kmi) nav function started failing to recognize the
    NavDVD. At startup, it would display a message to "insert nav DVD". Once I'd
    ejected and reinserted the disc, it would recognize the disc after about 10 secs
    and all functions returned. I use the car once a week or so and this has happened
    4-5 times. The disc itself is not scratched or damaged. Now, the drive itself won't
    eject the disc (no response from the eject button).

Sound familiar to anyone? I suspect the drive itself has failed and would need to
    be replaced, but - is there a way to reset (reboot?) this hardware or diagnose
    further? Assuming I have to replace the drive, does anyone have a link tosafely
    dismantling the console?

FWIW, this did occur (I think coincidence) a few weeks after replacing the battery,
    and all the other electronics are fine.

Thanks
    Anthony

charlson89

jksiller

Same problem in wife's '08 328xi. Bought a DVD cleaning disc from Amazon. It has small brushes on the disc that are supposed to clean the optics. Believe it or not it worked.