Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2006 530i tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pcbeckwith, Apr 22, 2009.

pcbeckwith

I just recently purchased my car in December of 2008 and have had the snow tires on until recently. A big difference in the ride and noise level going from the Michelin snows to the Bridgestone summers. For that reason I am in the process of replacing my OEM RFT Bridgestones summers and have narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport and the Bridgestone Potenza RE760. Cost makes me favor the Bridgestones RE760's along with the good reviews however, the Bridgestone has a XL Load Range and a message pops up that the tire may ride harsh. Just how harsh would that be compared to the 050 RFT Bridgestones that are now on the car? Does anyone have an opinion regarding the ride difference between the 760's and the Michelin's?

mrglock

Have you considered the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec? I choose over the other two you are looking at. I do agree the RFT's are the worst. Tire Rack staff was very helpful for me. clint@tirerack.com to be exact. Good luck with your search.

pcbeckwith

UPDATE: I purchased the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires to replace the RFT's on my 530i. Even with the XL rating these tires are much quieter and ride much better then the OEM tires that were on the car. I have not noticed any difference in dry handling and have not had any significant rain in the short time I have had them. The cost was much less then the Michelin Pilot's I had been looking at and that was the primary reason I bought them. If I could have afforded the Michelin's i would have bought them but I have no complaints, the tires are performing well. Tire rack was very helpful and made sure I was aware that i was buying non-RFT tires. I do have a spare and I have no problem changing tires plus I have BMW Assist in case my wife ever drives the car and has a problem .