Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2004 SMG problems???

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Katealan, Mar 29, 2010.

Katealan guest

I've had my M3 for about 3,000 miles now (presently 80,000) and am new to the SMG. When starting off on an incline, it has a little shutter sometimes. Could that be a sign of bad things to come or not to worry (part of getting used to the SMG)?

M3Driver guest

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mine typically will do that a bit (I have 40k). You do know it has a hill-hold feature. While at the incline, pull both paddles back while your food is on the brake and you'll hear the engine rev-up a bit and "hold" you in place. Once you get used to the SMG, I think you'll really like it; especially you ever track the car.

As an aside, I'd suggest changing your gearbox oil. Mike Miller recommends gearbox and diff changes at 30k. Write him at 'techtalk@roundel.org' for his "old school" maintenance paper. I use the BMW OEM stuff but some people prefer the Red Line. Someone can chime in on the proper weight and such for it.

Cheers...