Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2003 325XI sedan

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by MEL, Feb 26, 2009.

MEL guest

Getting a BBBBBRRRRRR vibration at around 60-65 mph (2000 RPMs). Almost like when you're too far over the lane and hit those ridges to tell you you're going off the road. It happens for about a second or two and let off and upon accelerating again it will mostly reoccur. If RPMs are pushed up by sudden acceleration, it doesn't happen and transmission sounds smooth.

so here's the thing, I brought it to the dealer since I took ownership only about 2 weeks ago and their prognosis was to rebalance the wheels and they said it didn't reoccur. My husband drove it to work via highways and hills (12-15 miles) and heard it again, but very quick and slight.

Do you think this is something to do with the tires? 16 inch Continental-touring I believe. Or what else might it be? HELP!

drummerfc

How old are the tires? That's the operative question. I had the same (or very close to the same) issue a few months back...@65-75 mph, the thing would shake like a banshee. I replaced the tires and VOILA...no more shimmy-shimmy-shake - ride was smooth as silk (or a smooth as a 525i sport series gets)!

Side note - when getting the tires put on the installer asks me "did you know this car has one-directional tires?"...my response :confused: WHAAAA? Turns out, the treads need to be facing the same way so you can't just rotate them conventionally...the tires installed on the left side have to STAY on the left side and same for the right. In addition, they installed on on the spare (it was the only tire they carried that fit a BMW 5) so hopefully I won't have a flat on the "wrong" side :eek: LOL!

drummerfc

Sorry just read this again...you just took delivery so the tires are brand new...D-OH!

Never mind!

MEL guest

thank you DRUMMER - for the input - and I need to inspect the tires, no they're not brand new, so it could be the tires that's the point. You offered some great info. and adding to my tires research, I didn't know about directionals, so THANKS!!! I appreciate it. I thought it might be something with the XI differential, but can't hurt to start with the tires.

If you're willing, by the way, what tires did you go with?

BIMMIR guest

Are the tires run flats?
    You could have the normal premature wear associated with them. (Though I think the technology is improving) On my 07 328xi I replaced these at 10,000 miles due to wear and feathering. The dealer went good for replacements since it was a new car. I had an issue similar to what you are describing.
    When I need to replace them on my convertible, it'll be conventional tires.

drummerfc

Hay - any time! :D That's what the forum is for. And perhaps I should get me ole eyes checked again...I misread your post twice...ugh! God, getting old SUCKS (but it beats the alternative)! :p

My tires are: Hankook Z-Performance rated Ventus V4es (17 inch rims, not sure if they come in the 16). Here's the kicker...got 'em at Pep-Boys. You read correctly. Here's another kicker...installed - under $600.00. I'm very pleased with the product!

drummerfc

Almost forgot the icing on the cake...buy 3 get the 4th free!! Waiting for my $110 rebate check as we speak :)

MEL guest

They're not run flats they're conventional and the dealer called and agreed to take another look, maybe at the axles. They balanced all 4 tires. I'm thinking of swapping the tires on this 2003 to my 95, but wish I could ensure that it's the tires, but best to look further first i suppose. :eek: The vibration happened when I went to the grocery store last night about 54 mph and very short but bbbbbrrrrrrrrr, don't like it at all!

MEL guest

The car is currently with the dealer - it may be transmission related. will post outcome.:)

Vibration

I have a 2002 330xi with the same issue. The car has a mileage of 46K. I had the tires rebalanced twice. There was no improvement. It sounds like I'm going over rumble strips. It occurs sometimes in the 40 to 50 MPH range and other times at highway speed for a couple of seconds.

Was the dealer able to solve your vibration? Please let me know. Thank you!

MEL guest

yes the shudder is gone as the dealer replaced the drive and fluids. Seeing some minor leaking and monitoring it, maybe just since the fluids were done, but hopefully the leaking will stop.