Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 E39 Auto transmission fluid service

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Rob Dirom, Jun 13, 2008.

Rob Dirom guest

I have two questions in order to assist my very capable but cautious mechanic involving changing the transmission fluid on the following auto:

2002 540iT - V8 (late 2001 delivery date on the sticker)
    VIN #: WBADR6348 2 GN 92067
    68,000 miles

Questions are:

Which transmission is in this car? He mentioned a Z?, Getrag? and another as being the potential choices.

Is there a standard drain plug of old? Because of the "lifetime" BMW stance there is some mystery as to how one gets the old fluid out (save turning the car over and draining it out while upside down). I do understand the fill hole is the "full" indicator just like my old '74 VW Van!

Any help would be appreciated. Satch's column states Dextron III is OK and the timing is at 60,000 miles, but the other answers would get me on my way.

thanks,

Rob

Kent Bullis guest

I don't know which transmission you have.

There is no drain plug. You drain the fluid by removing the pan. This provides access to the filter as well.

Bavarian autosport sells a kit with the new gasket for the pan, and a new filter.

I performed this service at 150K on my 98 540i, and now have 180K on it. Job was simple and straightforward, and I've had no problems with my transmission.

At 150K, my fluid looked amazingly clean, but there was a large amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan and on the magnets in the pan.

az3579

The transmission in your car should be a ZF 5HP24.

Rob Dirom guest

Thank you both! I am armed with info and ready to attack the job at hand...