Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 540i computer update...why?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by mooneypilot, Aug 19, 2009.

mooneypilot

I just took my 2002 540i to an Indy shop for service.

They checked the computer, and said an update is available for $130. They don't know what is in the update, or if it is necessary.

How do I find out what is in this S/W update; and whether I need it?

Sandy Thomas
    BMWCCA Peachtree

ViolinARC guest

Whoa..check with the dealer first!

Hmmm...that's a new one. I'd call the dealership and inquire before I'd fall for that one...:D

Casually ask about your y/m and state that a friend mentioned there was a "software update" available, if it's true and what it entails. You may not even need it as I have a 2000, have had my car at my very honest Indy and nothing of that nature was brought up...:confused:

Keep us posted to this new way to get BMW owners to shell out their hard earned dollars...

mooneypilot

Computer Update

I asked the Indy to check my compter. They didn't do the update, as I told them I wanted to check around.

They didn't initiate the request to BMW, I asked them to do it.

I trust this Indy, I got their name from www.bimrs.org recommended by Satch

ViolinARC guest

Sounds reliable but I'd still call the dealership just to back it up. Then make sure you find out what the sw update entails or if they are things that won't make a real difference since you were told the update costs $130, which ain't no chump change...

Did you get a chance to tug on the dealership's ear? I'm very curious about this sw update as I haven't heard of it until now. :cool: