Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2001 740il and M5

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by Loupisano, Dec 17, 2010.

Loupisano guest

I have an '01 740il and an '01 M5; the stereo in the M5 is far superior than the 740 - was there an upgrade available in the M? The 740il system is OEM - how can I upgrade to equal the M? Any thoughts would be appreciated...happy holidays!

lou

mdywglr4x4 guest

Lou:

Do you know if you have "M Audio" in your M5?

bcweir

Can you be more specific about what kind of upgrade your were looking for

Sound quality is extremely subjective and varies from one person to the next.

Personally, I think you're not going to get your best deal going the OEM route. The aftermarket is still FAR ahead of anything the OEM's are offering in terms of sound quality.

Bavarian Soundwerks offers a number of upgrade options that are sure offer you much more value for your dollar than the rip-off rates a dealer will charge you for a comparable so-so "upgrade."

I should also mention that automotive stereo technology has come a long way since the E38 and E39 left the production line in 2001 and 2003 respectively, and the later model audio equipment will probably not retrofit into the E38.

http://www.bavsound.com

mdywglr4x4 guest

Thanks for the plug :)

OP, if you want to call and discuss I am happy to do that. As said the aftermarket can make both MUCH better. The OEM options to improve are extremely costly and many times are replacement with the same low quality gear.

The M-Audio is a decent upgrade over the factory DSP system though in your E38 so I am not surprised you are more happy with the E39 M5 system... that is normal :)

We can definitely help the E38! Just shoot me a PM, Email or phone call!

bcweir

It's not a plug. I don't work for or affliated with Bavsound.

Am I required to be a dealership employee to help another BMW CCA member? Maybe I should ask who YOU work for if you've got all the answers? For a non-employee who directed some potential business your way, that's a pretty cynical way to thank someone who was trying to help another BMW CCA member. The goal is to help the OP, not fatten another vendor's wallet.

The dealer is going to charge the OP around $100 to $150 an hour for what's easily going to be 3 or more hours of labor. I'm not a math major either, but even my three year old niece can add and subtract.

That's easily several hundred dollars for what's still going to a system that's nearly a decade behind the times.

It's the OP's money, but if you're going to immediately assume that everyone who tries to help someone either works for a dealer or for a third party vendor, you're not going to be very receptive to anyone's input in this community.

So tell me something. As an example, if a member were looking for good products to detail their BMW's with, and another member makes a suggestion for a certain product, is that a "plug" too? Does that make the second member an employee of the vendor selling the product being suggested? Or even tires and wheels?

mdywglr4x4 guest

I am the Sales Manger for BSW... Bavarian Soundwerks. I meant it as "Thank you for the kind words/plug/recommendation/etc". I appreciate the community recommending us. A vendor that is part of the community. I meant no harm or malice by it :)

bcweir

Didn't want to sound harsh

My intent was to help the OP to understand that spending money at the dealer for what is already an outdated, mediocre OEM sound system is not the best use of their funds.

I happen to like BSW's selection, and I have heard great things about your service. I meant for my reference to offer a helpful alternative to the OP besides spending a ton of cash at the dealer on what will still be a mediocre, out of date OEM sound system.

As long as my help is couched in the aim of helping a fellow member get the best assistance possible, and not just contributing to a vendor's marketing, I have no issue with recommending a quality vendor.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

mdywglr4x4 guest

That is what I was thanking you for. Recommendations from actual BMW owners is better than me telling you our products are good. And we love to hear that! So thank you for your kind words.

I apologize that my choice in words made you think I was saying something negative about your post.

bcweir

No problem.

Just to be completely fair, you'll know when my comment is a total and shameless plug when you see it.

Example of a Shameless plug ====> (E32 750iL's are made of the best stuff on earth! OMG! Everybody MUST get one of these!)