Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2001 330Xi PCV valve service kit

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by RandyR, Mar 9, 2010.

RandyR guest

my E46 has 161,000 miles on it. Runs like a top, but oil seems to disappear: 1 quart every thousand miles! I say "disappear" because their are no other symptoms like bad mileage, black smoke, or leaks. I've been told that this could be a problem with a malfunctioning PCV valve, particular in colder climes (I live in Vermont), and there is a kit to fix the issue. My questions: 1. has anyone else had this experience? 2. If there is a repair "kit" for a known problem, why isn't this a recall? I've had to add oil more frequently than I thought proper since the car was quite young (though not at the qrt./1000mi rate) and brought it to my dealer's attention back when the car was under warranty. The cost to do this repair: Over $200 for the kit, almost $600 for labor! That's if I do it at the dealer. $200 less labor if I go to a reliable, but unauthorized, garage. Help! randy@teamswork.biz