Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1997 M3

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Evan Buko, Dec 9, 2008.

Evan Buko guest

I have a silver 97 M3 that I plan on somewhat "fixing up". I was looking to see if anyone had a good idea as to what type of aftermarket rims or OEM rims that would look great on my M.

I had my eyes on the DPE LS5 but those may be to to much for my kind of car. They dont need to be extremely flashy or anything like that; just something that would make me stand out even more.

I also heard that rims from other models may look great on the M too.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks, Evan

BIMMIR guest

I don't know the wheel numbers, but I think the original 135i rims are great looking. Also, the 18's that come with the current 328i sport package.
    You might score some used ones that someone has. Often people buy a new car and replace the rims and sell the OEM ones for a good price.

Here's a photo of a white one in your body style with the 328 wheels on it.....

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...422&tracktype=usedcc&isuper=true&aff=national

BIMMIR guest

Hey, where did you go??

In this months edition of the Pine Tree BMW CCA newsletter, (Maine) is this ad you might be interested in...

BMW M-SPORT CONTOUR WHEELS & TIRES
    Set of four (4) authentic BMW M-Sport Contour
    wheels and tires. This is not a staggered set.
    Mounted tires are 225/45x17 Fusion HRI radials
    purchased thru Tire Rack. These are very nice
    tires despite their relatively low price point. They
    only have approximately 4,000 miles on them.
    Wheels are in excellent condition with only two or
    three very small blemishes. No curb rash. Includes
    center caps. Fits E36 & E46. $600 for set.
    Call Steve: 207-926-4682

Evan Buko guest

Still here

Oh that sounds great. Is there anyway you could put up a photo of them?

BIMMIR guest

There was no photo in the ad, I'd suggest giving him a call directly. This sounds like a great price!
    I saw the other discussion you've got going on this, and tyhose wheels look great too.
    Did you see the photo of the white one in my earlier post? These are the wheels from my 09 328ic sport package. they are nice, but kind of tough to keep clean.

94is guest

I have always been a fan of factory wheels.

[IMG]

Evan Buko guest

Yea I did see those. They do look really nice.
    I guess I could say that I would be somewhat concerned with keeping them clean but I'm constantly cleaning/washing my cars so it shouldnt be a problem

What would you say would be the hardest part about keeping them clean?
    (brake dust, grim from the roads, etc)

BIMMIR guest

As usual with a BMW it's the brake dust. The wheels just have a lot of nooks and crannies. So you're trying to get into them, as well as trying to get at the back sides of the spokes on the bottom where they curl under and are pretty visible. I should buy some different brushes, that might help. I've used brushes before and I find I'm still using a sponge to get around the contours well.

Thanks goodness it's a labor of love, huh?

Evan Buko guest

Oh yea for sure.
    The brushes that I've used have worked great but I've notice little scratches that arent visible to anyone unless you get right down close to it. Not a big deal but really annoying for brake dust and whatnot because that stuff gets down in those little scratches and is really hard to get out with a sponge. (Although I do agree with going back to a sponge)
    So I just stopped while I was ahead to avoid getting even more scratches.