Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1989 325iX drive shaft and other parts

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by twaltz, Dec 7, 2009.

twaltz guest

The rear drive shaft (transfer case to rear differential) on my car has a bad U joint. Does anyone have recommended source for a rebuilt drive shaft?

I guess I might as well load up the whole list of parts I need and see if there are any other recommendations as to sources for these as well.

Rear half of exhaust (muffler section)
    Front passage side drive shaft (has torn outer boot)
    Outside driver side head light (lens shattered by rock)

Thanks so much for your help.

tiFreak

I don't believe any aftermarket companies make driveshafts for the E30ix, there may be rebuild kits but I'm not sure

hopefully I'm wrong because BMW wants an awful lot of money for those parts

twaltz guest

Thanks Brendan

I found a referral to Driveline Service of Portland (http://www.driveshafts.com) on this site under the Reviews section of our Members Community. I spoke to Jerry there and the drive shaft is on the way. It will take about a week. The cost is $377 including shipping. There is also a $75 core charge. This compares with a new price of over $730 but I believe the new shaft comes with a guibo flex joint that I will have to buy seperately. I will try to update this thread and let folks know how this goes.

I am a bit torn on the muffler cost. I can get one from my BMW dealer for $608 or a Bosal replacement for $208. I have heard that the replacements only last for a couple of years at most.

Tom

tiFreak

cool, glad you were able to find someplace else to do it

I'm pretty sure Bosal stuff is stainless steel, it should last pretty long, I assume you live someplace where they salt the roads

EDIT: evidently Bosal isn't stainless, if you can afford it I'd buy the part from BMW

twaltz guest

I did get a rebuilt drive shaft from Driveline Service of Portland (http://www.driveshafts.com). The drive shaft is installed and works great. The service from this business was excellent.

granthr

Glad to hear the install went well.

Check Bavarian Autosport for an exhaust. They have different levels in terms of pricing and quality. You should be able find one that fits your needs. www.bavauto.com.