Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

15" BBS wheels sandblasted

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by az3579, Aug 3, 2009.

az3579

Recently, I have had my 15" Euro BBS 'weaves repainted. I looked into getting them sandblasted but heard opposing arguments for and against it. People were saying not to do it on an aluminum wheel because it will pit it. But, when I went to inquire about the price, the guy said he's been restoring cars for years and that sandblasting it wouldn't damage the wheel. So, I took his word for it and had my wheels sandblasted.

The wheels now have a texture to them. I quite like it, but unfortunately so does brake dust. I just cannot wipe the stuff off, and have to use simple green and a fair amount of rubbing just to get light dust off. This is completely unacceptable.

I coated the wheels with 2 coats of clearcoat, unfortunately with varying brands (auto store). I made sure the wheels were covered, but when fully dried, it doesn't really look like there is a clear coat on there.

To get the wheels extra smooth, should I just apply a lot more clearcoat? Would that cause them to be smoother? I ask this particular question because I also had my euro bumpers sandblasted (chrome was in unrestorable shape) and painted. Tonight I applied the clearcoat to that and it turned out buttery smooth. Of course this is a real clearcoat, and came in a can that had to be "activated", where as the wheels had cheap auto store clear coat. Would the same logic apply (get a good quality clearcoat and apply with more heavy coats)?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Did you clear right over the metal or did you paint them first? If painting you should start with several coats of a high-build primer and then 2 coats of color, then 2 coats of clear. You can keep laying on the clear if you want, and it might help, but either they should have asked or you should have specified a smoother finish.

az3579

I applied three coats of filler primer (it was bare metal), then three coats of paint, and two or three coats of clear (I don't remember if 2 or 3). I asked about bead blasting but he said it was much more expensive and that it wouldn't be worth it.

What's the likelihood of adding more clear being the fix?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I don't know if more clear will fix it or not, but if it worked on your bumper, why not give it a try?