Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

06 550i vs 07 525xi buying decision Reliability?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 4grmnautos, Dec 17, 2008.

4grmnautos guest

Though I've been a member for years, my first post. I am considering an E60 and wonder if anyone could list "common problems" I might need to be aware of. My 1st choice is a 06 550i with 20K and a year left on the factory warranty from a broker. Other choice is a CPO from a BMW dealer 07 525xi with 20K and 2 years left on the factory warranty and the 2 year extension powertrain CPO after. Both cars carfax clean one owner and are in excellent shape after looking over.

For performance reasons, the 06 550i appeals to me as a replacement for my 02 540i as I loved the way it drove, though it had mechanical issues that cost $500-$800 every so many months at the dealer near the end of my ownership. Power steering lines, radiator, etc. all listed as "common problems" that model and I had them. The 07 525xi is a nice car, but doesn't have the performance I really want but would be the "smart" choice beings it has so much more BMW warranty. I have read the CPO warranty in detail and know it is basically powertrain with some exceptions. Both cars are within $1000 the same price.

I really like the 06 550i, color, equipment, wheels better than the 07 525xi (much more basic car) but if anyone could offer up any insight to "common problems" on either or both cars, it would be very helpful to my decision. I noticed a post about issue with a 06 525xi from Consumer Reports that got my attention. I am leaning towards the 550i and will buy it regardless of the warranty issue (I still get a year after all from the factory) as long as I am not too scared off. I don't expect it to be maintenance free after the year but don't want to buy a car with a long list of known issues I will have to pay for. Wife is leaning towards the AWD 525xi with the longer warranty of course. It moves, so V8 power does not matter to her nor does the higher level of equipment. We both like BMWs though (this will be my 4th since 91) and think the E60 will be a good addition to our family.

I would be very interested in any comments from owners with 50K-60K plus miles and what they are seeing on repairs and costs.

Lonestar5

This issue is discussed on various website forums. You might find more information there.
    I have neither of those cars but I do have a 2005 545i which is pretty similar to the 550i you are considering. I bought it used (CPO) with 23,000 miles on it. It now has 65,000 miles and I have not had any problems with the car. After two years of owning the car I have spent $0 on mechanical issues.
    My previous car was an E46 328i. The increase in power of the V8 was a big part of my decision to go with the 545i.
    There are independent firms that offer extended warranties.
    Good Luck.

4grmnautos guest

Thanks for the information. I never got notified by email that anyone responded that I set up I thought. Your 05 looks just like the 06 I almost bought. It is a beautiful car and I like the wheels. I ended up buying a 2009 535xi this weekend and I think the same wheels as it has the Sport Pck. I was leaning towards the 06 550i heavy (like you, I wanted the V8 power), but with the .9% financing on the new ones, I stepped up and went new. The power and flat torque curve of the twin turbo six is impressive, at 300 hp & 300 torque it feels almost as much power as my 02 540i. I test drove a demo with 1600 miles so was able to get on it some. 40-70 MPH is quick. Plus I got the AWD I kind of wanted (We get ice 30-40 days a year at our elevation at home). So ended up getting the power and the AWD, though at a higher price. But with the .9% and 48 months of warranty and 48 month service, I decided a good compromise. Went automatic to keep peace at home and the dealer said manuals are hard to find this car anymore. I knew I was going to buy a late model 5 series, just didn't expect to buy a 2009.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Nice purchase.... I drove hundreds of miles in a 550 for the Komen Drive for the Cure transport and simply love the big 5's, although I want to spend some time in the new 535 to see how different it feels.

Lonestar5

Congratulations on a great car. With some tuning that engine can produce more horsepower than the 550i.
    Happy Motoring.