Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2014 F10 Thumping during high speed braking and Recirculate Issue

Discussion in 'F10/F11 (2010-2017)' started by JPMCG, Jan 23, 2018.

JPMCG

Hello. Have a new to me (Sept 28, 2017) from a Dealer used F10 (535i) M-Sport Auto trans. w/29K miles
    Took to dealer for a part that was to be replaced after we purchased it.
    The vehicle has noise and shudder/thumping during slight braking from high speed (60-80MPH)
    it almost feels like an issue I had with control arm bushings on E46, but not as bad.
    The other issue is the Manual outside air button for recirculating air does not completely shut off outside as described on page 162 of owner's manual. Dealer said it lets a little outside air in, wished I'd seen the manual when he told me this.
    The dealer of course could not replicate the thumping noise.
    The warrantee is expiring JUNE 2018 and maybe need to find a better service dept.
    Any thoughts on what the shimmy on braking and the ventilation system not closing completely so I can tell dealer how to repair?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

charlson89

From your description it kind of sounds like your front brake are warped and need to be cut or replaced. Is the steering wheel shaking while braking? Also need to check the thrust arms and bushings for being loose or leaking. How do you know the recirculating isn't working? I can not say off the top of my head if the system does allow some outside air in or not on your vehicle.

JPMCG

Charlson89,
    Thanks much.
    The recirculate thing we discovered on a trip to Florida. Paper Mills smell pretty bad, smell got inside car with it on manual, when returning had it on MAX A/C, NO SMELL inside car, same paper mill. Driving behind diesels, can smell the diesel fumes inside passenger compartment. Our other 2 BMWs (E46 & E85) shuts off outside air completely. Just think that the other 2 BMWs shut off outside air completely and the owners manual states "outside air into the vehicle is completely blocked" Don't know whether you can check your 5 series for whether you can smell outside stuff with it in manual setting.

The Front end thing I will remember to check tomorrow if it is in steering wheel. It is definitely in brake pedal, almost like ABS thump...but not as noticeable. I turned radio down and could hear it also. I'll take to dealer tomorrow or Thursday. My wife could feel it in the passengers seat so maybe I can take technician for a test drive so he can experience it. Just want to get it fixed under warranty .
    Thanks,
    J.P.

charlson89

I will have to look into some BMW information about operation of this system and get back to you.

JPMCG

Dealer has had car 10 days. Sure did miss it.
    Performed SIB 34 01 14 (Vibration When: Braking Diagnosis and Repairing) defect code 3411005700 vibration from both front and rear. They performed fine grind inside and outside of front and rear rotors, replaced all brake pads. Vibration is still noticeable after road test. Checked the front rotors and still above specification after being resurfaced. Replaced both front rotors with "Proper updated replacement" 1 piece rotor vs. the separate hat section riveted to disc. After replacement road test, all good. Did not seem to vibrate on 40 mile ride home, but traffic was heavy, I will test at high speeds after the raining stops.

The vent issue is complicated...
    The invoice states performed BMW Service test, no faults noted or stored. found recirculating air control motor to be functioning correctly. When button pressed, flap closes to 15% (NOTE: though owner's manual stated Outside air is permanently blocked) 15% is the setting that corresponds to this setting. All available resources state same. There is currently no way to adjust flap position through ISTA or the vehicle. The setting at 15% with no adjustment available-vehicle is functioning as designed at this time.

My other 2 BMWs E46 and E85 completely shut off outside air when in M mode on recirculate.
    The dealer wants to have a factory tech look at it next time they are at the dealer.

Shred Sled guest

I am having a similar issue on my CPO 2016 F31 w/M Sport brakes
    I too have the 2-pc rotors. I’ve only have the car for just over 3K miles (33.5k odometer), so I’m hoping this is not a real hit to the wallet. I first noticed a grab, let-go, grab, let-go while coming to stops. Felt like a bicycle with a bent rim. I thought maybe I just need to get used to the M-Sport brakes, but it’s driving me crazy. I also get vibration while braking from higher speeds to stop at a more rapid rate. There is no vibration in the steering wheel, nor does the car pull to the right or left.
    Curious as the what the “proper 1-pc” rotors referenced are. Did is solve any the issue?

Shred Sled guest

Today, the dealership replaced the rear rotors, brake pads, inner hex bolt and hex screw w/collar.
    All was done under the balance of the factory warranty.
    Wondering if they would have bed the brakes or I should?

charlson89

They should have bed them in to remove the zinc coating. Just do easy braking for the next 300 miles to allow the brake pads to wear in.

Shred Sled guest

Thanks. I do have some brake squeal, but only in the morning upon the first 15 min of driving at the last 10’ or so of coming to a stop. Is sounds like the front brakes, but those were not touched in the recent service / replacement of the rears.