Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

No Satellite Radio Option

Discussion in 'F25 X3 (2010-present)' started by Fishguy, Feb 1, 2018.

Fishguy

I just bought a 2012 X3 and hope to transfer my XM radio account to it but don't see the "Satellite Radio" option under "Radio". Is there an update or something? Or am I looking at a new radio?

MGarrison

Input the last 7 of your vin at bimmer.work, then scroll through the options & see if you have option #655, 'Satellite Radio' (German 'Satellitentuner').

I'm not sure what the options may be to get satellite radio if the car wasn't optioned with it originally. Don't know, but there may be separate tuner module or something like that, plus sat. antenna as part of the roof 'sharkfin'. Charlson will know better than me when he pipes in here!
    Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

I'll try that and thanks.

Fishguy

bimmer.work is great. I have no option 655 but I do have 693 "Satellite Tuner Preperation". Any ideas out there what that means?

Fishguy

I didn't mention that bimmer.work says I have option 645 "Radio tuner Us" then below that in options is 693.

MGarrison

Hmm, wish I knew more specifics; 655 is shows for my E92, production date 5/10. Since yours is later, it could well be they changed the descriptions &/or option numbers for the same thing. Sat. tuner preparation certainly makes it sound like satellite could be a possibility - maybe Charlson will know when he pipes-in here!
    Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

Searches elsewhere have me believing it means wiring is in place, but not the actual sat box. Guess I'll call a couple of dealers and report back what they say. On another note, I do all wrench work I can on my cars: What shop book do you folks like?

Fishguy

When I go into the idrive to radio there is no option for sat radio as is shown in the owners manual.

Fishguy

Option 693 "Satellite Tuner Preparation" is just that. The wires are in but no tuner. Getting the tuner, install and software download is about $500 at a dealer locally.
    Thanks for your info MGarrison.

I'm having a hard time finding a maintainence and repair manual. What do you folks use?

charlson89

The radio will have to be programmed for the sat radio to be turned on and depending on production of your car it may require a module. 2012 was a weird year for BMW and them mixing technology across all the vehicle lines.
    Beckley manuals are normally what I recommend for a repair manual. As for maintenance your vehicle tells you what it is due for and when in your idrive.
    Fishguy likes this.

MGarrison

Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

You guys are good. A Genius at my closest dealership in Vista Ca told me the option 693 meant all the wiring was in, but I'd need a module and software download and those with labor would be $489. Our X3 was certified so it has no problems or blemishes but its my first BMW so I'm looking for a manual to learn procedures and have an idea if something is beyond me before I start dismantling. Technically the X3 is my wife's as she had an 08 Honda Pilot we bought new and wanted a smaller Suv. My car is a '90 Miata with 74,000 I got new in 12/89. I've done all the work on it since it went out of warranty many moons ago.
    I'm absolutely blown away by the X3's handling even though it doesn't have the sport option. It's a 4100 lb. car that's actually fun to drive. This SUV is now officially OURS, not just hers.

MGarrison

Is there any usb hookup to play audio from your phone into the stereo? It would be less convenient & have dropouts/interruptions between cell-tower switching, & wouldn't work in the stix or if there was no cell reception, but you can add internet streaming, etc. to your sirius xm package and then access content thru the sirius xm phone app. Getting the module(s), etc., though, then you're good to go in the vehicle virtually anywhere anytime, and certainly easier to access programming than thru the phone app.
    Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

Thanks for the thought. I did get both of our phones connected and will stream through the stereo by Bluetooth or usb. I'm still weighing the xm streaming by phone idea. I don't like it much because of the reception problem and i got spoiled by having it in the pilot for years and always having our favorite stations available no matter where we were.

MGarrison

Just now thinking about the problem of using the app (vs. my prior post of just speculating if it could be used), which I guess does have favorite channels that can be set - but then the distraction factor of fiddling with a cell phone to try to change or tune in a specific channel while driving... eek, pretty unsafe. The few hundred bucks to put it in the car & have the safety & convenience of primary channels at a button push or two (minimum distraction while driving) pales in comparison to the expenses potentially incurred from a distracted-driving incident. Cell-phone app is a satisficed workaround, so my 2nd-thought vote would go to getting the modules, etc. in the vehicle, for safety's sake & convenience/ease-of-use!
    Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the module too. Probably take me a few more days to convince myself. There's no way in hell I'd chance fiddling with my cell while driving. Thanks for your input.
    Does one REALLY need a special tool to remove the oil filter canister lid? Looking at it I'm guessing a strap oil filter wrench would work. BUT, then there's torquing it back on. Hmmm. Maybe I just answered my own question.
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

I've forgotten where I got mine from - Bavauto.com maybe; they're not very expensive though.

charlson89

Another option would be to use pandora through the usb connection. Here is the BMW site page about sat radio install with prices.

Attached Files:

Fishguy

Lots of food for thought. Like i said, I paid xm for another year last month,so I'll probably go with the module and software download. I got spoiled I guess. So it goes.
    I'll check out bavauto for the filter canister tool.
    You guys are a lot of help. Thanks

Fishguy

Thanks to all your replies. I had the download done at Escondido BMW and all is well.
    MGarrison likes this.