Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Photos from new BMW Museum in Munich

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by Brian A, Jul 13, 2008.

Brian A

2AD Tanker

We are going to Germany, specifically Munich in September and the new museum is a definite must for us!

The last time I was there, in 2005, the museum was being built and I didn't own my 135 i. What, if any, are some of the benefits, bonuses for being a BMW owner and a BMWCCA member?

Free admission? Special tours? Test drive any BMW on the "ring"?

Brian A

At BMW headquarters, your BMW CCA membership card will get you a 50% discount off the museum entry fee (12 €).

To be honest, it seemed like being a CCA member was a bit of a novelty the person at the front desk. I asked if there was an entry discount, was told there wasn't, finally fished out my CCA membership card from my wallet, the person took it, asked someone else and came back and let me in for 6 €.

I didn't discover any other CCA benefits, but that doesn't say that they aren't out there.

Regarding your trip, make sure you register for a Factory Tour as early as you can. They fill quickly and are really worth it. I've "walked-in" on two different occasions and managed to score a spot on an English language tour, but I wouldn't count on it.

The factory tour has changed quite a bit from a few years ago, where they basically used to have a yellow "sidewalk" painted on the factory floor and you were just shepherded around the workers and robots by a guide. The coolest part when a robot welder misfired and sprayed sparks all over us. I think incidents like that are why BMW has now installed a catwalk above the floor for tours. Unfortunately, there are still heating ducts and stuff that block important views sometimes (and you can't get sprayed with sparks anymore).

The BMW Welt is really nice to "hang out." It's a great place to buy a lunch. There are free lockers (use a 1 € coin which you get back) in the basement and restrooms (with antisocial paper towel dispensers). I've never felt compelled to buy any souvenirs from the shops; it seems like the same stuff I can buy at my local dealership.

Of course, if you are taking European Delivery of a new BMW, everything changes. Then you are Royalty. I have no idea what the experience is like (I bought my 1987 325ic used), but I imagine it is pretty darned cool.

2AD Tanker

Thanks for the information. I owned a 1983 318 i when I lived in Germany years ago and I just purchased a new 135 i. I considered the delivery in Munich when we go in September but it just wasn't feasible due to the fact that I wouldn't have it for 6-8 weeks after dropping it off in Germany.

I am definitely interested in doing so in the future though. I have heard nothing but good things about the ED.

Thanks again!!