Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

returning newbie ready to improve his 335xi sedan, Manual, dynamic suspension

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by henkinc, Jan 27, 2018.

henkinc

HI guys- I haveowned an E24 M6 and E34 M5, nboth improved by Dinan products and am eager to share information from you guys about the mods that my car might benefit from. I will search forum for some of this first but feel free to weigh in now.

• first, my 2014 certified car came without the HK sound system or the satnav software installed. I amappalled the dealer wants to charge $800 or so for s imple software patch and believe ehere are cheaper services for the same result out there. The car has the A693 build already.
    • second I ama bit surprised at how the stock 300 hp engine runs out of breath above 5000 or 5500 rpm and expect I will get the stage 1 Dinan upgrade. I will ask Dinan but also wonder if you guys have installed it whether it improves responsiveness off the line in Comfort mode. Finally, does Dinan rquire 93 octane? I as surprised BMW only requires 91 for the stock engine (my departing acura TL Manual 3.7 Liter engine suggests 93 is best.)
    • third, I am interested if anyone has installed Dinan Shockware without any hardware changes on an Xi. I find the steering settings in Normal to be a bit soft and the car a it twitchy in Normal, possibly due to body roll. sport as is seems fine. But I don't know if the Dinan shcokware (which changes the shock setting to OEM sport when in Normal mode) somehow gives a mismatch between the Normal steering and the Dinan-modified shock settin in "Normal."
    Anyway, glad to be aboard again My other ca is a 2010 DTI, Porsche 997 series 2 S cabruiolet, with manual shift.

Charlie

henkinc

How the hell do you spell check in Preview before posting!!??

MGarrison

Hey Charlie - if you're on a computer, your browser may have spellchecking as a feature. Perhaps cellphones include it - of course it's a part of word processing software, but I don't think spell check is a common feature of most web-based message forums. If you're on a pc, you can compose your message in a word processing program and then copy & paste it into the forum's 'reply' text-input area/box.

Can't help much with your specific questions - my guess is any tuning upgrade would most likely necessitate higher-octane gas. There are all kinds of mods for N55 engines. Top-end, I'd guess things that flow more air might help, stuff like intakes, downpipes, etc. Anything that helps top-end hp presumably should help some w/ torque & off-the-line. It might just be comfort mode, presumably that's not a setting/tuning for optimal 'go' performance.

henkinc

Thanks for comments. I will just spell check each underlined word going forward...
    I do of course try car in Sport mode as well, which helps but still surge falls off a bit and that great BMW 6 cylinder smoothness at higher rpm is dialed back by the turbo profile for this car. No worries- just trusting the Dinan stage 1 upgrade will help at high end as well as lower down.
    Have you heard anything about the Dinan Shockware (only $200)?
    Best,
    Charlie

henkinc

engaging email notification now (I hope).

charlson89

The software in my experience does help with the flat spot in the 5500 rpm spot. BMW has there own power kit that does this as well. I'm guessing BMW software is restricting for a protection reason or the turbo and exhaust flow is beginning to max flow rates at that RPM. Probably why they sell bigger turbos for the N55. As for the octane 93 will of course be better but even with a tune 91 will work just fine since newer cars can adapt to the octane of the fuel you put in. 91 is just the minimum BMW recommends you can of course use 93 as long as it has 10% ethanol only. Shockware I have not tried yet. I know dinan use to have trial periods for it software so you could try it before you purchased. I'm don't believe shockwave does anything with your steering just if you have adaptive shocks (EDC).