Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

active steering malfunction

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by udris, Jun 27, 2013.

udris

i have a 545 with the Sport Package including active steering. I get an active steering/dynamic handling error light(s), dealer performed voltage check , all OK, but problem persists.

charlson89

There could be many things causing this light to come on. You will need to get the codes pulled in order to get a proper diagnosis I hate to say. You could have issues from your battery to the active sway bar, steering angle sensor. What did the dealer check exactly and did they pull faults for you?

udris

The dealer performed a short test, finding multiple over and under voltage faults. They checked alternator and that was within tolerances, reinitialized active steering and charged the battery and sent me on my way. They performed a draw test overnight and that passed muster. The same fault showed up within 24 hours of getting the vehicle back.

charlson89

Your alternator might be overcharging the system causing it to go into protection mode. Basically if voltage goes over a certain range the control units will shut down to protect them selves. If you have a multi meter that has the min/max function. Connect the meter to the battery positive of the meter to positive battery terminal. Negative lead to negative battery terminal. Then set the meter to read DC voltage and turn on the min/max function on and drive the vehicle around until the active steering light comes on then check the meter and see if you do have a high charging voltage. Range should be around 13v-15.5v for a normal car over that and you have an issue and need to replace the alternator.

TonyG77

My battery in my 04 530i totally died in this cold weather. I replaced the battery and had 2 fault codes show up, the check engine light and active steering code. I have the Foxwell NT510 pro scanner and was able to register the new battery and clear the check engine light code. The active steering code is still there although on my scanner it shows no fault code error after I reset, however it shows that it is initializing but never resets. How can I correct this error code, please help?

charlson89

The active steering and steering angle will need to be recalibrated. In Bmw's software we use a test plan that sets the steering to zero and restarts the active steering motor.

TonyG77

Thank you very much for replying. I was able to recalibrate the active steering and steering angle with my Foxwell NT 510 pro scanner. I drove the car over 15 mph making two hard left turns in my neighborhood, then drove home. The code went away.

charlson89

Great to hear it worked!