Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Service Changes Coming?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by ljrober, Jul 11, 2008.

ljrober guest

I don't mean this to be a rant on dealer service, I just curious if this is what is on the horizon. I've just experienced a complete change at my local BMW dealer when I took my 5 Series in for it's pre 50K service.

First I was grilled on where I purchased my car, that was new. (I found out that my service advisor had just left after many years of being with this dealer). I was told my new advisor would call me right back.

The service advisor finally called me back almost 4 hours later. That wasn't very timely.

When I arrived my advisor, who is new, didn't listen to what I needed to have serviced, so he didn't write everything up and I had to have items added.

My loaner was Jetta - I was told that VW's are going to be the standard loaners for BMW dealers. Are they kidding? My back is still killing me.

I was also told that Enterprise Rental car will be going into the dealers. I've lived through that nightmare with other car dealers. I have had to call a cab to an airport to rent a car because of their limited hours.

There was no call at the end of the day to tell me the work was complete or status.

When I picked up my car it wasn't washed, which was standard. The service advisor was gone and my car had marks on the air damn after the service.

This was such a huge change in just over a month, it was unbelievable. I really love my car and the maintenance has been wonderful until now. I hope this isn't what future holds.

Jonathan Spira guest

My 550i was just in for a software upgrade and handbrake adjustment.

The dealer (DiFeo BMW) picked up the car at my house and left a 535i.

The SA communicated with me by phone and e-mail several times.

They buffed out a small surface scratch on the bumper and the car was hand washed and vacuumed.

Since my 3er just indicated it needed an oil change, I suggested that I just drop off the 3er and keep the loaner car - since I was going to be at the dealership anyway (picking up another 3er for my business partner). They were quite happy to do this and they will bring the 3er back and pick up the loaner 535i when done.

Couldn't ask for a better experience and my dealership has been expanding its loaner fleet, not contracting it (or contracting it out).

ljrober guest

Wow Jonathan your dealer sounds like a dream! Too bad Bert Smith BMW isn't close in experience.

Thanks for your reply - we'll see what they will do about the air damn.
    LJ
    • Staff

steven s

That's what you get when you buy a new car every year. :)

The rest of use suffer from no call backs and repeated trips back.
    One to diagnose a problem. Two to install the part. Three to fix what they did wrong in step two.
    At least that has been our experience with our MINI at 3 dealerships.
    Don't get me wrong, they have always been nice about it, it's just frustrating.

I have my doubts if I will ever buy a new BMW again.
    Someone needs to drive old Bimmers anyway.

Jonathan Spira guest

They are pretty darn good - and that's what keeps me coming back. They also have heavy competition from a dozen dealerships in the NY metro area so they are smart to use service as an advantage.

Sure they, like everyone, make mistakes but from my experience these are far and few between.

Jonathan Spira guest

Well someone has to take all those cars from the BMW Welt...
    • Staff

steven s

Maybe we'll see you on Ice Road Truckers next year.
    People in Alaska drive BMWs too.
    Oh wait, Satch moved.

Jonathan Spira guest

Don't laugh - I was supposed to go to Steamboat for a winter driver's school a few months back but bad weather cancelled resulted in my flight being cancelled. I hope to get there next winter.

marcmergen guest

there are a few good dealers

As Jonathan said, there is a lot to be had with a lot of competition in the NY Metro area, at Prestige everyone gets a BMW loaner, the quality of a dealership is outstanding

Autohaus guest

I was at Prestige on Monday and got a 08 X3 with 600 miles as a loaner. Not too shabby;).

VA_John

Well, when I go to the dealership here they hand out anything from porsche to bmw. I've never been told to drive a jetta or volkswagon. And they always clean and wash the car after it's been worked on. I think your dealership may need to be reported to the BMW NA folks before they start thinking they're running a McDonalds.

The kind of service you described, is what I get from BMW independent shops- but I expect it for 60/hour less with parts provided. And I can afford to make up the difference and rent my own car. Just sounds like management there went to hell. If they keep going down that road, the big boys and bmw north america will slap their peepee and fine them/yank their license to sell.

dmason2002

Sorry you had a bad experience, I hope you don't let them get away with it. I work for a dealer that uses enterprise as a last resort when bmw loaners are all out, that still adds up to several rentals a day. Customers pick up and drop off here, seems to work well. That advisor needs to get whacked when BMW calls you for a rating of your service visit, I would call the manager as well. Either he isn't doing his job, or management is preventing him from doing it.
    Good service departments suffer because of the bad ones, customers come in with preconceptions that put them on the defense or offense, it's hard to work with a customer that doesn't trust the shop.
    That bmw will loan out vws is laughable! A nice bmw loaner is a better car selling tool than all the plaid wearing salesmen and fancy tv ads combined!

cappytanjack guest

ljrober, I agree with dmason2002 ref the customer feedback. It should also say on your service paperwork to call and talk to the service manager before you give a rating below a 5 in any category. I'm not certain who makes the phone survey calls but it would be worth it to call the service manager soonest and let him know you won't be rating them anywhere close to a 5 based upon your concerns. Give him a chance to "squirm" before dropping the "bomb". Most times, they will come around and deliver. Those surveys do matter to them in the long run.

Cappytanjack ...

iqbalm guest

Speaking of NY metro BMW dealers, Wide World of BMW also gave me a 08 328xi loaner and had fantastic service.