Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

air conditioning and e30 drivability

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mebannister, Jul 6, 2017.

mebannister

Does anyone else, besides me, have an issue of drivability with the a/c on. acceleration is fine, but, backing off causes a quick hesitation rather than an easing off. Happens only with the a/c on. Thanks.

MGarrison

oooo it's been a long time - I seem to recollect drivability was improved when I did a conforti chip ages ago, including what you're talking about. Lots of potential issues to affect drivability though - everything needs to be buttoned up and in good running order - AFM properly adjusted/working properly, no vacuum leaks, good plugs, wires, distributor cap (ignition coil is pretty long-lived, but still...), flexible fuel lines in good condition and not deteriorating, after so many years/miles, getting your fuel injectors serviced with new internal filters & cleaned pintles (or buy some properly re-done), new injector seals on the fuel rail with that, proper fuel delivery from both fuel pumps & return, good fuel filter, idle control valve, not a bad idea to replace the fuel pressure regulator after this many years, make sure the alternator with its voltage regulator is delivering ample power, battery in good shape, the fuel tank vent system, carbon canister, those are a few things that come to mind. If you do a chip (not hard to do, you just have to be careful), it'll require premium gas 91 octane or higher. Also, helps if a/c system is all good, if something's amiss there like low freon, inadequate lubricant oil, etc, and the compressor's not running optimally, obviously that would be putting more of a draw on the engine - for that matter, need to make sure the a/c belt's good, not overtightened, and the compressor's mounting is solid & the way it should be. Also the throttle position switch good and adjusted properly, along with the throttle body & it's operation, basically no blockages or constrictions of the intake tract. If there was for some reason excess sludge or carbon buildup on the valves, I suppose that could be an issue too.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...orsport-conforti-performance-chip/?pdk=CAYBBg

Ken.S.330

I seem to recall that back in the 80's I had a Honda that would hold the throttle to reduce emissions. I think it was referred to as a decel valve. I don't know if there is something comparable that could be looked at to see if it is functioning correctly. Long post, short on help.
    reschaf likes this.

MGarrison

I never heard of E30's having something like that - the gas pedal is a direct mechanical connection, the throttle-body spring closes the tb correlative to you letting up on the gas pedal. They probably could have done the same via the dme, although the E30 dme already shuts off the fuel injectors when the throttle's closed, saving gas & ergo, emissions.