Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 Hood release question - need help

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by z3George, Jul 4, 2017.

z3George

I was checking coolant level this morning and inadvertently shut the hood with the coolant expansion cap setting on top of the reservoir. This prevented the hood from closing completely BUT the safety latch engaged and I can't get it to release the hood.

TIA for any suggestions.

PS: Happy Independence Day and thanks to all VET's

MGarrison

That's a front-opening hood? So the problem is the tank cap is keeping the hood from having it's usual 'play' and the latch is tight enough on the latch you can't move it to release it? I would think you should be able to push down on the front edge of the hood enough to free the latch with your other hand; for the sake of protecting your fingers, I'd secure (duct tape?) something uncompressible & thicker than your fingers in the gap where you're trying to free the latch to avoid accidentally closing the hood on your fingers. I don't have a Z3, so I'm not particularly familiar with the latch, another idea would be to get a length of small rope or something like that (assuming that's possible), and you could pull on the latch release pushing down on the hood with your other hand clear. If you can't reach the latch part, perhaps remove the grills? Not sure if that's easily done from the front side - plus, old plastic, ez to break off the retaining tabs. There's a couple ideas anyway.

z3George

Thanks for your thoughts. It is indeed a front opening hood and the expansion tank is near the driver's side strut tower. The cap is tightly trapped in that area acting as a fulcrum. I can push the front of the hood down but not enough to free the latch. I have an appointment with my local garage whom I have been using for almost 30-years. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get some access to the latch from underneath once we put it on the lift.
    Thanks again!