Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1991 325i Convertible need BMW E30 Struts

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Jship91, Jun 23, 2017.

Jship91

Dear BMW Colleagues:

I am looking for front Struts for my 1991 325i Convertible - I live the Washington DC Metro Area
    (Arlington, VA) please advise on a place to buy and replace current struts. Thanking you in advance.

charlson89

MGarrison

If you have stock shocks currently, any of the places selling parts advertising in the Roundel can probably get what you need. Worthwhile to compare prices.

https://www.bavauto.com is pretty comprehensive - pretty sure they'll price match also.

Replacing only the fronts, to keep a safe handling balance, it's probably advisable to match the fronts to what you have on the rear. If you're looking for stock replacements & maintaining original ride quality, Bavauto's showing the Bilstein B4 as an OE replacement. They also show Koni STR.T's, apparently those require a different upper strut mount - I'd say that's no big deal if that's what you went for, you should use new upper strut mounts when putting in new shocks anyway. I put Bilstein HD's on my E34 w/ stock springs, no complaints about the ride quality. I did all 4 corners at once, Bavauto can tell you if HD's will work ok with your rears. Sachs or Boge shocks used to be the common o.e. replacements, they only list a Sachs for a rear shock - presumably something's changed on the supplier front there.

Sport shocks are a different ball-game, they're made to go with lowering springs and trade-off ride quality for handling performance.

Ditto what Charlson said, best bet for local recommendations is hit up your area members/contacts through your chapter's website &/or social media.