Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Downsides to SULEV?

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by Stuart Cooperrider, Jan 18, 2016.

Stuart Cooperrider

Considering a CPO 2013 328 i xdrive sport package that is a SULEV. I'm in Massachusetts where a large majority of BMWs sold are SULEV. Whar are the downsides to a SULEV if any? I've heard there used to be issues mostly regarding fuel pump replacement that prompted BMWNA to inact a 15 year 150,000 mile warranty. Apparently this was resolved several years ago. Thanks.

charlson89

Overall there isn't that many differences from a sulev to a normal 3. Correct the older ones were a bigger pain because of the fuel tank not being serviceable but they are now. Also you do get a 8,80,000 mile warranty on some of the components in this vehicle because it is a sulev. In my opinion the newer sulev's are just as good as a standard 3.

arizonajudi

I'm looking to buy a used (61k miles) 2012 328 coupe SULEV with the original fuel pump. I've been told that to replace the fuel pump, the gas tank needs to come out, and the cost could be $4000-6000. Is this correct? I do not live in any of the states covered by SULEV warranty. thank you. judi

charlson89

The e46 previous model the fuel tank would have to come out. But the e90 the pump can be replaced by removing the rear seat.