Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replaced transmission at 34K

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by jmilshtein, May 20, 2017.

jmilshtein

I am about to purchase a certified pre-owned 2014 335i xdrive with a manual transmission. One day before I am scheduled to pick up the car, the dealership calls to notify me that the 2nd gear synchro is broken. During the test drive, I did notice a slight grinding sound, but I thought this was simply me not being used to the new transmission. The car has only 34,000 miles.

The dealership is replacing the entire transmission with a brand new one, which is covered under the factory and certified pre-owned warranties. The clutch is not being replaced.

Should I be concerned about this car? I still have time to back out of the deal (I haven't paid the down payment yet).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

charlson89

This does happen more often than you think. BMW has a issue with those manual transmission with the second gear synchro. The replacement should take care of this issue. I would not worry about this, it does show that the dealership does care about the quality of the vehicles they sell, since they are repairing it without you telling them about it. CPO inspection are very through and the cars are as close to new as possible.

jmilshtein

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I also spoke with a mechanic from an independent BMW repair shop who gave the same advice. I picked up the car yesterday, and the new transmission has incredibly smooth shifts. It seems like the dealer mechanics did an excellent job!

Ken.S.330

Congratulations on the new car. Have fun with it.

charlson89

Great to hear now just enjoy!

dsbroudy

I've had this problem with my car since it was new. Dealer claims it's OK, nothing wrong. The 1-2 shift is crunch-prone and feels too notchy. Is there any official TSB or other documentation you can provide or should I go back and demand a new transmission?

2014 F30 N55 ZMT non-X

charlson89

There is nothing so far from BMW about this issue. I know BMW has replaced a lot of these transmission though for this issue. I have done a handful myself. Ask to talk to the shop foreman and service manager about this.

dsbroudy

Will do, thanks!

dsbroudy

I took it in over the summer, "no fault found." Uh huh... took it back in a few weeks ago for the same problem. First they replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, then the entire transmission when that failed to fix it. 2nd-gear synchro failure.

I hope the replacement box is a little beefier. I've only got 22,000mi and change on the car (I travel a lot for work so it's usually sulking in the garage).

charlson89

Glad to hear it finally got fixed!