Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

need help

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ripster, Jul 7, 2008.

ripster guest

BMW has agreed to replace my car, based on the fact that after numerous attempts and over 50 days in the shop, they can't fix the problems with this car. (335 conv. 2008 and loaded) My question is, am I obligated to accept the new car. Mine is a lease car, which I believe would have to be signed off on and terminated. When the new car is delivered, I believe it would entail the signing of a "fresh contract" for the new car, based on the left over time and milage on the "lemon" car they are replacing. My question is, am I obligated to sign and accept the new car? Anyone have any advice?

R

VertigoFlyer guest

If I were in your situation and a card carrying BMWCCA member I would be contacting the club ombudsman and asking them these questions. This is the kind of service the ombudsman provides club members - working with dealers on sticky/difficult issues.

Bummer you are having such a difficult time with your BMW - it seems so tangential to the typical BMW experience. The 335 is a sweet ride and we LOVE ours!!

DO call the ombudsman! They can help! Or so the literature says...

David1

Your dealer can tell yell as well as BMW Financial.

Jonathan Spira guest

I'm confused. You indicate that BMW agreed to replace the car (obviously at your request) but then you further state that you wish to know if you are obligated to accept the new car, which is somewhat in contradiction to the opening statement.

Why would you not accept the replacement?

Also, with respect to your lease, it would simply be a collateral swap.

ripster guest

I did not ask BMW to replace this car. In my state, a car is declared a lemon after "X". amount of attempts and "X" amount of days, "out of service". Once this threshold as passed, certain procedures are implemented. BMW realized (and admitted to me) that under state law, they would lose any legal argument regarding the replacement of this car. Don't get me wrong, my dealership has been most agreeable and professional in the handling of this situation. I have nothing but praise for these guys.

My reason for not wanting to accept the new vehicle is this. In the time it has taken for the new car to be ordered and shipped from Germany, my life situation has changed. I have been offtered a long term assignment in the Cayman Islands, possibly for 10 yrs. I will only be in the states once every 6 weeks or so. Having a near $60,000 car sitting under covers, and a lease no less, does not seem to be a very attractive prospect. As much as I love the car.....well, you can figure the rest.

R

Autohaus guest

Just have it shipped to keep you company :)

ripster guest

Unfortunately a leased car cannot be shipped overseas. HOWEVER, and this is a big HOWEVER, BMW, did do all the right things, and I cannot say enough or give enough "5's" on the survey that will be requested...I only wish I could give "10's" instead of 5's..

For anyone that is interested, here is the story, my "replacement" 335 droptop just arrived, and as I am moving to the Cayman Islands next week, I really don't need this car,(makes me sick to write such words, but....) I could have bought out of the lease at some expense to myself, plus, when I come back every 6 weeks or so, I would have to rent a "normal" car, (I'm choking on those words). The sales manager, changed the mileage from a 15,000 a year to a 10,000 mile a year lease, dropped the terms from 36 months to 24 months, ( I am saving over $60.00/payment) and as I will not be running up the mileage, ( I am guessing that over the next 2 yrs. I will put between 3 and 4 thousand miles on this car) this car will be basically a 2 yr old "brand new" car. The buyout at lease end is approx. $38,000. The car will still have 2yrs. warrenty and only 4K miles. The manager estimates the car would sell for approx. 45 to 50 K considering lack of wear....And it gets better, I will receive a couple of hundred back from BMWFS, plus there was a 50 dollar discrepancy in my favor, the manager smiled checked his pocket and realized he didn't have the 50, so he sent a sales agent to the service/parts shop and brought me a $300 cover to keep the car protected while I'm in the islands. My overall opinion is all businesses should be run in the same manner as LAUDERDALE IMPORTS, in Fort Lauderdale FL. This was not a solicited testimonial....I am just stating the facts. Lauderdale imports took my "Lemon" and made the sweetest Lemonaide I could have imagined. Thanks to all the people that gave me there valuable advice, ever find yourself in the Caymans...drop a line.

this songs for you, sincerely me....(The Allman Bros)

cruising the left lane,

R

Autohaus guest

Make sure you get a battery tender so you won't come back to a car that won't fire up. Maybe when the lease is up, I'll buy it off ya if you decide not to take it. I will be moving to Miami in 6 months:cool: