Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

F 12 M6 Air Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'E63 M6 coupe (2006-present), E64 M6 convertible (2' started by lhazel, Apr 24, 2017.

lhazel '13 F12

I bought my '13 M6 about a year ago with about 14,000 miles on it. Vehicle now has about 17000 miles and indicated it required an Annual Oil Service ( apparently, a BMW recommendation for cars with low annual mileage, I'm told by the Dealer's Service Writer). As they offered a price of $139 + tax, I took it. That was the hook, I guess. The next surprise came when I was told the car showed it needed "air filters replaced". The Multi Point Inspection more accurately reported the "Intake Silencer" needed replacement, which the Service Writer explained was the air filter. Having owned enough BMWs to know to ask questions, like, "How much?", I was quoted a price of $400.00 parts and labor. Probing deeper, I asked if this was for two filters, as there are two air boxes? The Service Writer said "Yes".

So I now wonder, having read the other thread about air filters, if this isn't something that can be easily done by me, while also removing the first stage carbon filters from each air box to improve airflow to the motor, as recommended on the M5/M6 Forum at M5Board.com? Any advice would be appreciated.

charlson89

lhazel '13 F12

Thanks much! Any recommendations on replacement filter brands, other than Factory original? I've lost touch with who is offering quality after-market parts for Bimmers now.

MGarrison

Roundel advertisers are an excellent source for parts - search these forums too, you aren't the first to ask about who sells stuff. Use websites like realoem.com or bavauto to look up parts & parts numbers, then google "BMW" and the part number, and you'll get a variety of results for vendors selling. There are dealers that advertise in the Roundel that sell factory parts, it's not unusual for dealers to offer members a 10-15% discount on parts also. But, often there are non-dealer parts sellers that are selling oe-equivalent parts for less. I'd stick to factory air filters, but I would shop around & price-check. ECS Tuning... autohausaz.com.... bavauto.com... pelicanparts.com... bimmerworld.com... & on & on it goes. :) If a part can only be sourced from BMW, other vendors typically won't/can't sell it at a club-member-discounted price, so those are best sourced from a dealer offering club member discount. My local dealer just put its parts discount for club members back to 15% after having dropped it to 10% some years ago, for instance. I've always like the Bavauto guys, nice site, although not necessarily competitive on everything (at least on paper - don't be afraid to ask for price matching)... anyway, on the Bavauto site, if they list a part as special order, that usually means it's something they have to get from the dealer, which means you might get it from a local dealer faster, without shipping, for less (except plus tax). There are lots of places that sell BMW parts exclusively, or it's among their specialties.

charlson89

The only direct replacement filter I know of for your vehicle right now are the OEM, K&N, and burger tuning has one.

lhazel '13 F12

Thanks very much for the sound advice. Just removed the charcoal filters in my car. Rainy day here in So. Fl., so the test drive will have to wait for better wx. but it sounds like the motor is breathing easier. Very subjective at this point. The directions given on the M-5 Forum you referred me to were spot on, except I would not recommend trying this without a 1/4 in 5" extension and a 1/4 in universal joint. Could not get near that dreaded #7 screw on either side until I made a stop at Lowe's today for the universal joint. That made it doable. Not easy, but it worked.

charlson89

Great to hear you got that done. Let us know what difference it made!

m6beemer

Is there really a performance difference if the charcoal filters are removed?

lhazel '13 F12

Have not dyno'd it, as those who have them down here want several hundred $$ for each run. The engine certainly seems to be breathing easier, and it seems to accelerate better. No regrets removing them.