Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Set time and date - mysterious computer or electrical glitch?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by Jonathan Spira, Jul 7, 2008.

Jonathan Spira guest

Today marks the 2nd time after a period 4-7 days of rest where the 550i lost track of the current time and date, as well as fuel usage and the trip odometer.

The clock showed -- -- and the date was three days ago.

When I started the car, the message on the HUD and the CID said "Set time and date." (Good to know the HUD displays this info)

Coincidentally the car is going to the workshop for a progman upgrade Monday or Tuesday so the timing is good but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight to these problems.

The car was locked and presumably all modules were asleep during my absence (I was driving several cars including an Infiniti EX35 as well as a Kia Amanti while the 550i rested).

Thanks in advance

ExGMan

Progman Update Likely Cure

My 2007 530xi did this same thing after a 14-day dormant period. The Progman 25.XX change seemed to cure it, and it has not recurred after other lengthy absences.

Speaking anthropomorphically, perhaps your 550 found a way to express jealousy?:)

Jonathan Spira guest

It was scheduled to get Progman 30.x or higher this week anyway so we shall see. Good to hear it hasn't happened again.

Jealous of a Kia and an Infiniti?

patb2390

Did you see what the error message was in the info center?

I had the same thing happen to my 550 a couple of months ago. The dealer ended up changing out my battery.

bcording

Loss of Time & Date 2008 535XI

My 2008 535XI with 11K miles on it started losing the time and date plus the AWD/DSC functions. BMWNA claims that I have not driven the car 1K a month and I voided the Battery Warranty. There is no separate Battery warranty, but the new BMWs have enormous battery drains from all the electronic systems on board.

Perhaps the limited driving is causing your loss of time and date. I replaced the Battery at my cost because BMWNA would not replace the Battery under the 4 year warranty. I installed a Battery Tender Plus to keep the Battery charged. Have BMW run a Battery/Charging System check while it is in the shop.

Good Luck!

Buck Cording

eam3

Mine did the same thing every few weeks even though I drove the car almost every day. After the first service they fixed it so I'm not sure if it was a software upgrade or what.

Pete540

Jonathan, Just had the same thing happen yesterday on my 2006 550. How did they resolve your issue? Do not think it is so-called unfavorable driving profile, been driving between 30 to 100 miles daily. Thanks, Pete

Bluestar guest

all modules were asleep during my absence (I was driving several cars including an Infiniti EX35 as well as a Kia Amanti while the 550i rested).

That's it, your car was insulted and tried to get back at you;).

eam3

TPM and date/time issue

I think the time/date + iDrive is a nutty combination. I got a low pressure warning from one of the tires and after checking I saw that the pressure was fine (there was a temperature change overnight and that seems to affect the sensors quite a bit). After I cleared the TPM setting on iDrive, the computer reset the date and time as well so I had to re-enter those as well.