Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Well, July isn't THE hottest month...

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2017' started by Randy Forbes, Nov 7, 2016.

Randy Forbes

... but it's pretty close; August usually is!

It would be nice to make it one year, but I don't think Southern Louisiana in mid-summer will be it ;)
    Actually, as hot, humid and rainy as 2016 was, maybe 2017 will be a bit milder__one can hope.

When choosing a timeshare in the French Quarter, we got lucky and was able to land the first week of April, a beautiful time of year there (I lived in LA, inc. NOLA for 20 yrs, but now reside even further south in FL).

Even so, I'll be looking at options to trade our week, and maybe we'll see you there!

MGarrison

Hope you can make it Randy!

Absolutely Comical That OctoberFest, BMWCCA Snooty Racerboy Weekend, is during the Hottest month in Louisiana. No wonder I am no longer an active member and only keep my membership for Dealership discounts, these events are above my tax bracket.

jdarwin

Considering its a 5-hour drive for me and I've always wanted to attend one of these, I'm happy to see it land in NOLA. Yes, it's hot in July but the breeze is always blowing and there are plenty of "beverages" to keep you cool and hydrated. There's not a place in the south that isn't warm this time of year- we're used to it! Can't wait!!
    steven s and MGarrison like this.

BSJohns

Man ya'll are crazy for wanting to hit NO in July. I'd be there in a heartbeat over the fall/winter, you know maybe in October
    • Staff

steven s

Snooty Racerboy Weekend? WOW! Never heard that before. Two whooping days. Friday and Saturday. Must be a helluva discount for you to stay in the club.

dmmai

BMW CCA Oktoberfest 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    July
    ... wait, huh-hhh?

Another year, another opportunity to gather and enjoy all things BMW at the annual festival known as Oktoberfest. And, once again the peculiar misnomer Oktoberfest stumbles awkwardly onto our calendars. The tired old question pops up again … is it in October this year? I’m trying to remember … when was the last time BMW CCA Oktoberfest was held in October? Maybe Georgia … 2009 it crept into early October (like the original Sept-Oct German Oktoberfest). Oh well …
    Our family has attended several past Ofests, all either in early fall or in early summer in the Colorado mountains, all with wonderful weather. Absolutely great times.

A couple of members have expressed concerns here about the weather in NOLA in mid summer.
    I have to admit, the idea of fifteen hours each way to New Orleans and spending a week at 95+ degrees and 95% humidity isn’t appealing to me or my family. As BSJohns said …
    We would be there for Oktoberfest this year if the New Orleans event was in the fall … like … maybe October. We’ve spent some time in NOLA mid summer, once. I don’t know if other members are having similar misgivings about the summer NOLA timeframe?

2010 Elkhart Lake, WI – Road America – 3 months before event ~350 entries registered
    2011 Birmingham, AL – Barber Motorsports Park – 3 months before event ~350 registered
    2012 Columbus, OH – Mid Ohio Raceway – 3 months before event ~350 registered
    2013 Monterrey, CA – Laguna Seca Raceway – 3 months before event ~550 registered
    2014 Beaver Creek, CO – no racetrack – 3 months before event ~300 registered
    2015 Galloway, NJ – NJ Motorsports Park – 3 months before event ~350 registered
    2016 Monterrey, CA – Laguna Seca Raceway – 3 months before event ~1000 registered
    2017 New Orleans, LA – NOLA Motorsports Park – 3 months before event … 176 registered
    Hm-mmm ?

I hope it’s a Great event and all enjoy themselves immensely. We wish we could take part too but, just can’t reconcile the cost and discomfort of NOLA in mid summer. Getting too old I guess.
    We’re already looking forward to PA in ’18 and Greenville in ‘19.
    I wonder, what are the chances of an October Oktoberfest??
    That would be cool.
    See ya
    • Staff

steven s

Ofest 2019, early October.

dmmai

This is Good News!
    This is Very Good News!!
    < insert Broad Smile here >
    • Staff

steven s

More Hurricanes for me. :)

MGarrison

I'm not too worried about the heat & humidity, but here in s.w. Ohio, the Ohio valley pretty much captures the heat & humidity & keeps it here through July & August anyway, not all that much different from N'awlins. It's not as if ensconced in the hotel's a/c for 1/3 or more of the time is comparable to camping outdoors in high heat/humidity for a week. I think most O'Fests are in the summertime to widen the attendance opportunity for families with kids who would otherwise be in school, anachronistic though that may be. I don't even expect this year's O'Fest to be comparable to the heat & humidity of O'Fest '99 in Indy - _that_ was the hottest, most humid O'Fest I've experienced!

mattm

Is there a link for the future O'fests? Where in PA is it for 2018?
    • Staff

steven s

2018 Pittsburgh, mid July.
    2019 Greenville, SC early Oct

mattm

Thanks Steven. Where's the Pitt race and autocross being held?
    I'm assuming Greenville will be for an "El Grande" 50th celebration.
    • Staff

steven s

Don't know anything about Pittsburgh. Greenville will be the 50th. And it should be the last if you ask me. :)
    50 years is a good run. Let's end it on a high note.
    If anyone was at Ofest in 2000 in Greenville, you would not recognize the place.
    gvcmel likes this.

dmmai

gvcmel likes this.

mattm

Randy Forbes

Good move! I think the attendees will be MUCH more comfortable late October/early November in New Orleans. It also reinforces the notion that the CCA DOES listen to its membership.

Although my wife and I just returned from New Orleans after a week in the Vieux Carre' a month and a half ago__1st week of April, if you want to put that in the hat for O-Fest in NOLA for another year__we will be at our (only other) timeshare on the Gulf of Mexico on Lido Beach the first week+ of November.

[IMG]

I sure hope all y'all (that's plural for y'all, don't cha know, cher) pass a good time in N'awlins! There's three (3) things that you're going to want to stay clear of while you're there; the New Orleans Police, the Louisiana State Police, and of course, any descendants (and followers...) of Marie Laveaux!

[IMG]

In Scott Blazey's announcement, he asks the question in regards to Satch's expected cross-country banzai run if there's a record from San Diego to New Orleans? While not officially sanctioned, I did make the run from Belle Chasse, Louisiana to El Cajon, California in thirty-six (36) hours! Leaving my apartment in Parc Fontaine at 8:00 PM on a Tuesday night in March 1982, and checking into a Holiday Inn at around 8:00 AM on Thursday morning. In my '67 MGB Tourer (convertible) I used up tankful after tankful of gas in 4th gear at the redline__a whopping 106 MPH, only stopping to use the facilities or grab something to eat or drink when the car required another fillup. I attempted to repeat the same feat on the return trip, but there were some LEOs in Small Town, Texas that thwarted my effort. In the end they were pretty good guys, allowing me to plead guilty to 29 MPH over the limit (84 in a 55 back in those days) so I wouldn't have to spend the weekend in their jail to meet the judge Monday morning!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ;)
    • Staff

steven s

Not an easy decision to change dates.
    While a number of members had to cancel, there are just as many that are relieved and many more now looking forward to registering.