Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

bad key?

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by jturro, Dec 28, 2016.

jturro

Check engine set twice with code for ews input on peake reader
    car drives perfectly, no other codes
    reset and set CE light immed when started with same key; reset again and used other key, drove 200mi with no return of check engine light or driving issues.
    Aside from the obvious of not using the suspect key any thoughts as to why this would suddenly happen? 1998 Z3 5sp 80K miles--I do believe when this first happened battery charge may have been on low side from car sitting few weeks without using tender--could this possibly alter something on key chip?

charlson89

If you have swapped keys and the fault did not return then I would say the key is causing the issue. Recommend getting a replacement key. I doubt the battery caused this light. But to confirm this just recharge the battery and use the key again that caused the CEL to come on. If it does the key is causing the issue if not then I would just drive it.

jturro

Ok at this point both keys set CEL and same code #94 EWS input.
    It seems that passenger door lock no longer opens automatically when driver side lock opened (trunk lock does open) and passenger side lock works only that door--could cause this code set for ews?

charlson89

No the ews does not control any of the door locks. There are no other codes?

MGarrison

Do '98 Z3 keys need their own battery?

charlson89

Only for the light built into them

jturro

no other codes--car drives fine--thx!

charlson89

What engine do you have? Also what scan tool are you using? Code 94 has different means according to what DME and engine variant you have.

jturro

1.9L, 5sp man, peake tool plugged into port in engine bay

charlson89