Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Water powered engine kit anyone?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Dathaeus, Jul 5, 2008.

Dathaeus guest

Anyone try the upgrade kit to install in your car that makes your car run mostly on water? Is it really a hoax?

ProfDLMartin guest

I was wondering the same thing.

I have been doing some research online and have found several other forums of other car clubs where "real" people have tried it or something like it.

It seems that it is not as simple as they say it is in the advertisements. For example, we have newer cars and will need to have the O2 sensor adjusted. This can be done by software or by getting an extension that fakes out the O2 reading. In either case, I do not like the fact that I am changing something on my car with a work around that is providing bad data. Also, there is two ways to extract the H from the H2O, one is chemical the other is electrolysis. The chemical one will involve using a dangerous chemical that is fatal if ingested, the other way will require a more powerful Alternator installed.

Also, you have to size your container for the correct amount of H you are trying to produce. I would not set it up with the Mason jar like they show in the picture, I think a converted washer fluid or plastic bottle would be better. However it will depend on how you are converting the H as mentioned above.

Finally, you will also need to check your level and add more water and possibly chemicals if you go that route every time you add gas. Another interesting note is if you get the mileage increase then you may be stopping more often to add water and chemicals instead of gasoline.

I am thinking of buying a cheap bmw, like an 85 - 95 3 series to try it on. I would not mind stopping more often if I can save the money on gas. However, I do not want to test it on my Z3 as I love the car and would be very sad if it were to have issues for trying this on it.

Hope this helps. I am in no way recommending doing this to your car, just reporting on what I have found on the topic through my research so far. If I do go for it, I will up date the post here and let you know what happens.

Dathaeus guest

Wow awesome man, thanks for your hard work... I have a 97 328i, but I cant afford to really do damage to it, but then again, I wonder if these companies provide a warranty against damage to your car.... their sites are like 99% marketing crap and 1% actual substance. I hope u succeed with the experiment u will try, and definitely let me know what happens.... thanks!

az3579

Isn't that enough for you to stay away? :rolleyes:

The way I see it is if the manufacturer hasn't designed the car to run on water, there much be a reason. I can only assume if you run it on water, it won't be as good as with petrol, or else they would have designed it for water seeing as it's an abundant resource.

And I ask, pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't waste a good E30 on a project like this! I beg you!

Dathaeus guest

Ya ya, but anyways, manufacturers cant just produce cars with whatever fuel energy tech they feel like... they are in cohorts with the govnt and the gas/oil companies... its the same questions as why havent they started producing a mass quantity of electrical cars yet when it has obvious advantages over gas? There are electric cars now that can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds and have a range of over 300 miles....

This water thing is all much newer than the electrical fuel tech so there is no way anyone is going to put it in their manufacturing process.... I'm actually looking for some input on people who have used it or engineers who have some technical info on the validity of this.. I understand scams and hoaxes, etc., but if we are afraid of that and never do anything, we would never progress.

And dont worry, i will never mess with my car unless I have some more solid info, therefore I am here and some other places to gather info... because u never know right...

garyheid guest

it is a hoax, pure and simple. To make the H2 must get electricity from the battery which is charged by the engine. Only those believing in perpetual motion would go for this.

Sorry.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Pretty much sums up conspiracy theories.

The government actually makes the rules that make the manufacturers make more fuel efficient cars. They are the reason that catalytic converters, feedback loop fuel injection, aerodynamic bodies, Vanos, etc are on our cars. They are trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of the fuel that they put into the motor. If the water thing worked as well as "they" said it does, then all the manufacturers would be doing it. Think, BMW, hydrogen cars, sound familiar? They have been working on hydrogen fuels for decades. Liberating the hydrogen from the water takes energy, which is produced by the alternator, which comes from the engine, which takes fuel to make energy to liberate the hydrogen. It may work to some extent, and I have not tested it yet or done the math/chemistry to see, but the alternator is only about 80% efficient, so if anyone knows how many watts or amps one of these things draw and how much gas it produces (volume at temperature of pressure) or I guess I could go look up the bond energies required to break the bond of one mol of H2O and the energy liberated by the combustion of the same. Chances are that it is a pretty similar number, and that the inefficiencies of the alternator will make it so that you ultimately lose. If not, it would seem that you could cook all your meals and heat your water with Brown's gas using just water and the electrical feed to the house (and that it would be cheaper to do so than using electrical resistance heat in those applications. Of course since local utilities pay rebates for more energy efficient appliances and such to take the peak loads off their services (because increasing peak capacity costs lots and lots of money) they would naturally play along. I would love to find out if it works, and may even do the math and a small scale test because I love to know when I am right, but never afraid to find out when I am wrong, especially if it means that I can save money in the process.

Also, just think, an electric car the goes really fast and really far on a charge, umm it does not go over 300 miles while going 0-60 in 6 seconds, and it has batteries. Batteries that have horrible heavy metals in them, are heavy, not recyclable, and in short supply. They wanted to have electric cars mandated in California, but the projects died. You know why? Guess. Know what they don't have enough of in California? ELECTRICITY! Once the greenies give it up and let them build nuclear reactors (the only plentiful source of energy we have just now) then we can all have electric cars. Actually, not, because then there will not be enough batteries.

We need alternative fuels, but there is no magic bullet right now, and I don't think this is it.

Dathaeus guest

Nice.. but then is that water torch a hoax also? The guy who is supposedly responsible for the water power... he made a high temperature torch that was fueled by the same process... I think some news channel did a story on him...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

There is no question that you can separate water into hydrogen and oxygen gas then burn it. This is not a "hoax" so to speak, but these people are making money selling plans for something that is dead simple in design and may or may not work. Of course they do not make any guarantees and only sell plans so they have no liability. A friend of my father's bought the plans and he is supposed to send me a copy so I can scrutinize them. We will see what comes of it.

bcweir

The problem with these water-powered engine kits...

the literature doesn't address a key problem with creating hydrogen from water: the process of separating the hydrogen from the oxygen atoms takes as much or more energy than what you would yield from the hydrogen! So you wind up with either a net gain of 0 from the process or you're in the "hole" (a situation where extracting the hydrogen took more energy than the amount of fuel you got from the process).

California is putting the screws to the auto manufacturers by practically requiring these plug-in hybrids. Plug-in hybrids are designed to run primarily on their batteries and electric motors, and then turn on the gas engine only when the batteries become depleted. I see two problems with this setup. First of all, what happens to the gasoline fuel if it just sits there in your gas tank and doesn't get used for months on end? It eventually breaks down chemically and becomes worthless as a fuel. Congrats on having 15 gallons of SOLVENT instead of gasoline in your tank, Mr. Plug-in Wizard. Secondly, the idea that plug-in hybrids can reduce carbon emissions or reduce dependency on foreign oil is largely a farce and a shellgame. Guess where 70 percent of your electricity comes from? That's right -- COAL fired powerplants. Thank you California for feel-good but shortsighted environmental voodoo. Despite California's stringent auto-emissions laws, cities like Los Angeles still rate right up there with Beijing China as having some of the worst air quality in the world.

CA could make plugins a more realistic solution if they switched to cleaner energy solutions such as hydroelectric, except for those pesky water shortages in the southern part of the state. Most people in CA don't want nuclear due to radiation and waste concerns, and they don't want wind power because the windmills are "unsightly."

The more CA insists on having it BOTH ways, the more the pollution drama continues.

kkratoch

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/zor-ljm/Run_a_car_on_water.zip
    http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/bonus/bonus_rx23/vehicle-computer.zip
    http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/bonus/bonus_rx23/Vehicle_tax.zip

bcweir

Forget it. I don't download zip files from forums

not going to do that no way

kkratoch

Don't be such a wuss ;)

I can't attach the pdf file. If you want I can email them to you.

bcweir

Insults aren't necessary. In fact, I think that's prohibited conduct under the BMW CCA forum TOS. Look it up.

az3579

He didn't say that to insult you, it was a joke, hence the winking smiley.

Besides, the files are clean. I've inspected them and there's nothing malicious in the zip files. All that's inside them are the corresponding PDF files.

kkratoch

Yes, that was a joke. I apologize if I offended you.

bcweir

No problem...

not to further split hairs on this issue, but I prefer humor that doesn't serve one party at the expense of another. It's water under the bridge.

Thanks for your understanding.