Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Extended Maintenance Plan...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'BMW' started by MikePDaTruth, Feb 15, 2017.

MikePDaTruth

Hi all,

So I'm a relatively new BMW owner, having purchased my first Bimmer (a CPO 2015 X1) in June 2016.

Right now, my car has about 40,000 miles on it. I drive my cars pretty heavily, as I usually average close to 20,000 miles per year. I still have 10K on the new vehicle warranty and 60K left on the CPO warranty.

My question is regarding the extended maintenance plan offered by my dealer. I was curious about it and called my dealer to get an idea of the cost. Right now they're quoting me at $2095 for an additional 2 years/50K miles.

For someone like me driving close to 20,000 miles a year, would the extended maintenance plan be worthwhile?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

MGarrison

Make sure, conceptually, you're not confusing maintenance with warranty. As for maintenance, you might be able to answer that pretty easily yourself - look at what the maintenance plan covers, compare that to maintenance you've needed so far, and project whether what you'll likely need over the next 2yr/50k would be covered by the plan and if the cost of the plan does or doesn't exceed what you'd pay for whatever's covered by the plan if you didn't opt for it. If what you've needed so far would have cost over $1k/yr and there's little reason to expect anything different, obviously you might break even or be a bit ahead. If the plan covers more expensive stuff that could hit but hasn't yet, that might put you ahead of where you'd be out-of-pocket otherwise. Obviously, if you don't have anything expensive to expect coming up or a major service requiring a bunch of stuff that would be covered, then opting for it might be more just peace of mind.

charlson89

Agreed with what garrison said about looking at maintenance cost vs the plan. The plan will cover itself if you need brakes done since that is the most costly maintenance item. With you driving so much it may be worth it when you include spark plugs, air filter, brake fluid flush, oil changes. Also check the vehicle history and see if the brakes have ever been replaced if not then you know they will be coming due sometime in the future.

rfrankli

I have a similar question. Just purchased a 2011 335i convertible dreamboat, and was offered an extended warranty by the lender. Haven't bought one yet - we have a long history with old Japanese cars (20 yr old LandCruiser, 250k and 10 yr old Subaru, 210k still in the family - still grieving over having to sell the 1987 LandCruiser) and want the bimmer to last as long as possible. I'm most concerned about the hardtop's motor works... anyone know if this is a reasonable worry, and whether extended plans usually cover it?

charlson89

The hard tops on the 3 series really are not problematic even though they look as if they should be. As for warranty covering it that depends on which warranty you purchase from a third party. Some do and some don't really need to read the fine print of what they cover or don't. I have seen people get taken advantage from these plan because they never asked what they actually covered and just assumed because of the price it covered everything. Also a side note a company selling this warranty may not be the ones servicing the plan. So that means the plan costs the selling company x and they charge you what ever mark up they want I have see it as high as 3,000 before so watch out.

bullsm313 guest

Greetings All (new member here, first posting),
    I have a 2013 M3 (Conv) with 15,400 miles. Purchased it CPO in Florida last Spring. I wish to purchase an Extended (bumper to bumper) Warranty and was inquiring if anyone had some good suggestions. The local dealership has an employee with access to several companies. Mercury (will not cover Florida although great company), Fidelity is too high and a company named Endurance is in a bit of a hurry to get my business.

Any ideas?

N Dunham