Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M54 Oil Consumption; 2004 X3 2.5L

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by gskurka, Jan 16, 2017.

gskurka

I bought this vehicle for my 17 year old daughter in August 2016, mileage was 95872. Since the weather has gotten colder, oil consumption has increased and is now approximately one quart per tank of fuel. No evidence of oil drips under the car after being parked. On a lift, there is reasonable oil seepage for an engine at this age and mileage of 100,805.
    One common issue with this engine is a problematic CCV valve. I measured vacuum with a water manometer at the oil filler cap. With engine cold, vacuum is 13" of water. After warming to operating temperature, vacuum went down to 9" water. There is also some evidence of "mayonnaise" under the filler cap and I noticed what appears to be blue exhaust smoke this morning upon startup. Air temperature was 26 degrees F (overnight low was 19 F).
    I suspect the root cause is most likely an oil ring problem. Is the observed vacuum of 9-13 in. water within range?
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Greg

charlson89

Does the ccv have foam wrapped around all the pipes and the separator?

gskurka

Yes. It appears to be the cold climate version. Do you know what the vacuum should be at the oil filler?

charlson89

Ok the vacuum spec for that engine is 16 mbar and should only have spec difference of 10% +or-. But it can't differ more Thant 5mbar according to BMW.

gskurka

Thanks for the information. 16 mbar converts to 6.4 in water +/- 0.6 in. Therefore, I'm out of the specified range. Could you provide me with a copy of the pressure specification or test procedure that I can share it with the technicians? Is there a Service Information number or some other official factory documentation that we can refer to? Am I correct in measuring vacuum at the oil filler cap?

charlson89

Just tell them to use the crank case pressure SIB which has all the bmw engines specs listed there.